Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga Road plowing update

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tioga Road plowing update
May 19, 2017 01:45PM
May 16, 2017

Plows ended one mile west of May Lake. Crews are progressing from west to east about one mile per day as they plow through snow that is 8 to 10 feet deep. Forestry crews have begun removal of hazard trees (dead or diseased trees that might fall onto the road) between Crane Flat and White Wolf, and in the Crane Flat Campground.

A dozer removes snow from the top down, allowing the rotary plows to blow the remaining snow.
NPS Photo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 01:46PM by eeek.
May 20, 2017 04:41AM
Does anyone think that the Tioga Road will be open by June 10th? I'm hoping it is, but the chance of it looks low.
avatar Re: Tioga Road plowing update
May 20, 2017 02:26PM
Has NPS ever PARTIALLY opened Tioga Road, lets say from Crane Flat to White Wolf?

I don't recall them doing so for the past 20 years. I wonder if they might have done so earlier.

Leave No Trace
May 20, 2017 02:43PM
plawrence
Has NPS ever PARTIALLY opened Tioga Road, lets say from Crane Flat to White Wolf?

Yes.

I don't recall them doing so for the past 20 years. I wonder if they might have done so earlier.

I do. Several times they opened to road to Yosemite Creek before the full opening.
May 20, 2017 03:13PM
eeek
plawrence

Yes.

I do. Several times they opened to road to Yosemite Creek before the full opening.

I'm glad your memory is better than mine. I couldn't remember those years. I wonder if they might then do something like that this year.

Leave No Trace
May 20, 2017 02:44PM
plawrence

I do know in the past (in the 1970s and 80s) they would open up Tioga Road from the east entrance to Tuolumne Meadows after Caltrans plowed the road. But they haven't done that recently either, IIRC.

Leave No Trace
May 20, 2017 02:45PM
May 20, 2017 03:14PM
thumbs up

Leave No Trace
May 23, 2017 11:54AM
Maybe NPS will implement a similar partial road opening plan. According to L.A. Times article I just read, Tioga Pass itself might not be ready for travel until July 4.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-tr-tioga-pass-20170522-story.html
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login