Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Senior Annual Pass

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 04, 2017 10:40AM
I'm turning 62 next July, and it's my understanding that I will only have to pay $20 for a life time pass, but my question is:

Is this for Yosemite only? Or does it include all National Parks?

Thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2017 10:41AM by forrestranger.
June 04, 2017 12:45PM
The lifetime senior pass is $10 if you purchase it in person. (at a Federal entry kiosk, campground office etc.) If you buy it online, there is an additional $10 fee. Unfortunately, there is talk of increasing the fee to $80 soon but all things considered, still a bargain. It provides entrance or access to pass owner and accompanying passengers in a single, private, non-commercial vehicle at Federal operated recreation sites across the country. May provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services. For a week stay at a Yosemite Valley campground, the savings would be.... $30 entry fee + $91 campsite fee = $121 savings.
June 04, 2017 04:03PM
Crap! I hope they hold off on the increase in price until next year when I turn 62. LOL
June 05, 2017 09:45AM
It's the best thing about turning 62. :-)
June 05, 2017 10:48AM
JohnC

Well, up there with SS benefits starting.

Old Dude
June 05, 2017 11:31AM
mrcondron
JohnC

Well, up there with SS benefits starting.

Well, I waited on the SS so my pass was the big deal. :-)
June 05, 2017 05:26PM
No - it's lifetime for $10. I got my parent those and get to use it as long as I tag along. They got the older rather ugly looking one, although my mom couldn't find hers and I got her one of the newer ones. There's a list of all the fee areas that are covered, and it includes National Park Service, US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, Fish and Wildlife Service, and Army Corps of Engineers. The old one even listed the Tennessee Valley Authority, which I believe has some recreation areas around reservoirs.

Here's a list of where they can be purchased:

https://store.usgs.gov/sites/default/files/PassIssuanceList.pdf

Unlike the annual pass, there's only room for one signature. I think you can also get a hang tag for parking at some areas like in Lake Tahoe. One restriction is that one is supposed to be a US citizen or permanent resident, although nobody checked for my folks. A foreign visitor can purchase an annual pass.

I guess one of the things you might look into is if you enter with someone younger who doesn't have a pass. When I was going to Zion NP with my folks, I asked about how to get back in myself since I had entered once under my mom's pass (which allows up to 3 other adults). The ranger at the entrance station wrote up a 7 day permit that allowed me to enter myself. During the summer almost everyone has to enter on foot since they don't allow most private cars. You might ask about what to do if you enter with someone else and they might want to head out while you stay.
November 14, 2018 03:46AM
Hey! Just in case somebody stumbles upon this thread: the link to the pass issuance list does not work. The USGS stopped hosting that file a while ago. I found it on another site in case you guys need it.

https://www.templateroller.com/template/1763163/federal-recreation-areas-where-interagency-passes-are-issued-america-the-beautiful.html
November 14, 2018 05:10AM
The USGS does host the file. You'll find a PDF link to the site locations that issue passes.

https://store.usgs.gov/recreational-passes
November 15, 2018 02:15AM
And note that the price is now $80--still a screaming deal.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
November 29, 2018 02:23PM
balzaccom
And note that the price is now $80--still a screaming deal.
A bit complicated though. There's now a $20 annual pass option, where the purchase of 4 consecutive senior annual passes can be traded in for a lifetime pass. I don't know exactly how that works though. NPS that 4 previous senior annual passes can be traded for the lifetime pass, but I've seen other info saying that it has to be in four consecutive years, although I'm not sure what qualifies as "consecutive" if someone gets one pass in April, then the next pass in June of the next year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login