Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mac OSX "High Sierra" Picture

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Mac OSX "High Sierra" Picture
June 15, 2017 10:33AM
Elevate your Mac Experience...

Apple is calling the new version of their operating system "High Sierra", and there is a default wallpaper for this new OS.

I am wondering if the picture is really taken in the High Sierra? Does anyone recognize the location?

https://www.apple.com/macos/high-sierra-preview/

https://www.tekrevue.com/macos-high-sierra-wallpaper-download/
June 15, 2017 12:29PM
I've only been there once, but it appears to be North Lake. It's a great fall color destination off Highway 168 out of Bishop. Part of Inyo National Forest.
June 15, 2017 01:23PM
It's North Lake. smiling smiley
avatar Re: Mac OSX "High Sierra" Picture
June 15, 2017 05:51PM
North Lake is at Elevation of 9,255' so it definitely qualifies as the "High Sierra". wink

Leave No Trace
November 10, 2017 11:42AM
Yup, and Piute Pass is up the trail to the west from there; that pass is about 11,500'. And Mount Humphries is to the north a short distance and it is just under 14,000'. So "High" fits just fine.
June 16, 2017 07:14PM
Agreed...North Lake, without the lake
November 10, 2017 11:28AM
It looks like there is a little bit of the lake showing in the foreground. That lake, like most Sierran lakes, is becoming a meadow. I first went there for a hike over Piute Pass in 1965 and several times since. The lake has more and more sand in it. My last trip there was in 1999 so it's time to go back.
November 10, 2017 11:51AM
As others wrote, it is North Lake. It is looking west up Paiute Creek. The trail goes up that creek past Loch Leven over Piute Pass into Humphries Basin. The photo shows the horizontal contact on the slope in the background between the Lamark granodiorite on the bottom and the Tungsten Hills quartz monzonite on the top with a thin band of diorite or hornblende gabbro between them. This is all from Paul Bateman's mapping; see USGS Professional Paper 470. My copy is pretty tattered since I hoofed around up in there with Paul's maps in my rucksack.
November 12, 2017 09:06AM
Yes, I can currently see a part of the lake. Maybe it didn't load completely when I first saw it.

Nice photo of it too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login