Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga Road Update

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 24, 2017 01:37PM
The Tioga Road remains closed to all vehicular traffic, including bicycles. Melting snow is causing water to run over the road in multiple locations, creating a safety hazard. The park is diligently working to ensure that adequate sanitation facilities are in place to meet visitor needs and to protect the water quality in the Tuolumne River watershed. The road will remain closed until the impacted power, communications, water and sewer systems are operational to meet the needs of park staff and visitors. There is no estimated opening date. The Tioga Road is closed to vehicles, bicycles, and pedestrians from South Fork Bridge (6.5 miles east of Tuolumne Grove/NatureBridge in the Crane Flat area) to Tioga Pass.
June 26, 2017 04:12PM
Any nordic cross-country skiiers taking advantage of the winter conditions / longer days combination?
June 27, 2017 08:56AM
Tioga should be open to Tuolumne Meadows. I walked it past the Gaylor Lake trail that comes from the Lodge yesterday. ( I brought my bike up hoping for the best...) Water or debris on the road signs were up, but the road couldn't have been more clear. ( Last week, the snow melt on the road was two inches or more deep near the pass.) There has been some asphalt patching on the edges of the road in some locations.

But, it WAS a very quiet walk along the Dana Fork. Besides the early morning rangers and workers, I didn't see or hear vehicles or backpackers til afternoon.

And my friend hiked to Glen Aulin last week and said that there were bikes all over, until the press release came out Friday.

I reluctantly cancelled my permit for today...Waterwheel Falls, although it looks like the Dana fork has dropped two feet or so since its peak, and Gaylor Creek dropped a foot.
June 27, 2017 09:13AM
Hikerchick - isn't the issue more about the water/power/communications lines being operational? I have no clue what the repairs entail but I'm holding my breath for access to Tuolumne Meadows by my permit date of 7/18 - just 3 weeks from today...
June 27, 2017 09:19AM
breathe
June 27, 2017 10:32AM
Lol! Patience is not my forte.
June 27, 2017 04:16PM
Road opens on the 29th per the YNP site.

Tioga Road will open for Bicycle and Pedestrian Use on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 The Tioga Road in Yosemite National Park (Highway 120 through the park) will open for the season to all vehicular traffic beginning at 8:00 am on Thursday, June 29, 2017. There will be limited visitor services available from the Tioga Pass Entrance Station to Crane Flat. Tioga Road will open for bicycle and pedestrian users at 8:00 am Wednesday, June 28, 2017. All visitors on the road are encouraged to use caution as there may be dirt, debris, and water flowing over sections of the road. Visitors are encouraged to keep an eye out for maintenance vehicles working on the roadway. There will be minimal services available along the Tioga Road for several weeks. There will be no drinking water. Visitors should use the vault and portable toilets located along the roadway to help protect water quality in the Tuolumne River watershed. Food service and lodging are not available along the Tioga Road. There is no mobile phone service at this time and 911 emergency calls will not be operational. There are no gasoline services available along Tioga Road. Visitors can purchase gasoline in Lee Vining and at Crane Flat.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/news/tioga-road-open-to-all-vehicular-traffic-june-29-2017.htm
June 28, 2017 08:43AM
Glad to see the road opening. Too bad there was such short notice - I'd have loved the opportunity to ride a bicycle from Crane Flat to the TP entrance. That must be an epic ride (without cars).
June 28, 2017 10:07AM
Yea me too, wish I would have known, I would probably be closing in on the Park Entrance right now on my touring bike ):
June 27, 2017 04:35PM
Excellent!!!
June 27, 2017 08:25PM
I'm glad it's open to pedestrian use...ha. But I'll be on my bike tomorrow for the first time! And in my car on Thursday!

Too late for my permit though
June 30, 2017 02:19PM
Drove across Sonora Pass Monday mid day 6/26 and then Tioga Pass yesterday Thursday mid afternoon 6/29. Not particularly interesting versus other El Nino years when the roads open. Lots of still melting snows in forest, northern exposures, and drifting snow lee areas, however much has melted. Elery Lake melted out while Dana Lake still 70% ice. Dana Meadows about 30% melted out and the rest is shallow, likely to melt out in days. Lot of volume overflowing banks in Dana Fork. Tuolumne Meadows mostly green with just sprouting grass and a few shooting star in drier spots. Lower river overflowing widely into meadows. Lots of deer feeding about lower meadow areas. Tenaya Lake high drowning usual shore areas visitors expect to play at. Wildflowers will rise later than normal above 8k.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_Chronicles/2017_Trip-Chronicles-0.htm
l

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2017 02:29PM by DavidSenesac.
June 30, 2017 05:40PM
Yeah, the water flow, snow and flooding has changed a lot between June 19, when Tioga Road opened to the gate, and yesterday. The Dana fork is vigorous as is the lower river but both have dropped over two feet from last week. Cooler temps, the culprit.

As Dave mentioned...lots of deer between the pass and Tuolumne Meadows. And some of them seemed quite bewildered with the influx of vehicles. But the varmints (marmots) were ready to beg at Olmsted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2017 05:40PM by hikerchick395.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login