Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

River Conditions are Deadly: A First Hand Perspective

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar River Conditions are Deadly: A First Hand Perspective
June 25, 2017 07:57PM
River Conditions are Deadly: A First Hand Perspective

Posted on June 22, 2017

Note: River conditions have been deadly this year. Three people have drowned in the South Yuba River this summer season: on May 27 at the Highway 49 Bridge, on June 16 at Rice’s Crossing and on June 18 near Donner Summit. Already 17 people have drowned in rivers across the state. SYRCL’s River Ambassadors are seeing first hand how unprepared visitors are for a dangerous river season. Help us get the word out: Safety First. Stay Out.

By Whitney Logue, SYRCL Stewardship Coordinator

“Last Sunday, as wave after wave of river visitors arrived in search of relief from the heat, I welcomed them to the river… I also had to urge them to stay out of the water. Throughout the shift, I saw groups of friends and families arriving at the river with wide smiles against the sun, toting pool floaties, pop-up tents and ice chests. Many of them had driven hours to come to the river, rising early to spend the day enjoying the relief of the river as they have every year. We welcomed them to the river, educated them about responsible river recreation like packing out what they pack in and not having fires at the river. Then, we’d ask them to stay out of the water. Responses ranged from surprise to indignation: “It’s normally safe this time of year”, “Someone drowned here on Friday?” “I know what I’m doing, I’ve been coming here for years.” Many of the visitors hadn’t heard of the recent deaths, but had seen images of the beauty of the swimming holes. They never thought that the river they know could suddenly become something quite different.”

Link to the entire article: https://goo.gl/xMLUpK

Leave No Trace
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login