Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Degnans

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Degnans
July 07, 2017 08:48PM
Has Degnans opened yet? On Aramark's website it is still listed as opening in June 2017
July 08, 2017 06:24AM
Yes, Degnan's in open. The gift shop is gone, now an eating area with high and low tables as is the other end of the building. The center section has been enlarged and modernized with separate sandwich and drink counters. I think they have an "on-site" bakery. I don't recall seeing the corner fireplace. Quite unrecognizable from the previous Degnan's.
July 08, 2017 11:58AM
troutwild
Yes, Degnan's in open. The gift shop is gone, now an eating area with high and low tables as is the other end of the building. The center section has been enlarged and modernized with separate sandwich and drink counters. I think they have an "on-site" bakery. I don't recall seeing the corner fireplace. Quite unrecognizable from the previous Degnan's.

Did you go upstairs to the Loft? If so, has it changed much?

Leave No Trace
July 13, 2017 09:55AM
On June 30, the loft was not open.
July 08, 2017 12:09PM
troutwild
TY. Did you notice if they are selling the same sandwiches that they used to make. I always got the #3 formally known as the San Joaquin.
July 09, 2017 11:32AM
As I was in a hurry to get away from the hordes of tourists, I did not go upstairs and only briefly strolled through "Degnans Kitchen" just to see the improvements for myself. If I recall correctly, there were previously about 8 sandwich selections. I believe there are only 4 or 5 now, with different names? I'm sure breakfast selections have changed also. Hopefully no more "frozen cheese slice, frozen sausage patty, frozen egg patty" on a "baked in a faraway place" muffin or croissant.
Other interesting observations.... The cashiers at the Village store have been re-organized. Rather than the old "linear" style, they are now side by side along the back walls. There are no only 2 cashiers (and 1 line) at the west entrance. (4 & 2 previously). The discount outlet room in the corner is no longer there.
Returning from Tuolumne Meadows at 4 pm on Thursday, I made the grave mistake of deciding to stop by the Village store. As soon as I made the right turn onto the new "parking loop" from Sentinal Drive, I instantly regretted my decision. Around the loop to the "round-about" then back to Sentinal Drive drive took nearly 1½ hours. Such relief as I finally turned left onto Sentinel Drive. (nearly all traffic was going straight). Then, as I turned left onto Southside Drive, the horror returned as the traffic was again stopped dead. After 20 minutes, as I finally approached Housekeeping Camp, I noticed a parking spot right at the entrance. I whipped in, parked, grabbed my pack and walked back to Upper Pines and beat the shuttle (that had been right behind me) back to the campground by 30 minutes. When camping in the Valley, I NEVER get in my car again until I actually leave the Valley. My legs, bike and the shuttles work fine but, this time, Tuolumne Meadows was calling my name.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2017 11:49AM by troutwild.
July 09, 2017 06:28PM
Thanks for the update on Degnan's. Last time we were there( early June) we had to wait a long time for a empty shuttle, the shuttle driver was having a meltdown and ran into the curb at the new parking lot stop. A shuttle manager that was trying to get people on the shuttles also was having a meltdown and was yelling at people for no reason. Arggg. T Meadows, here I come.
July 22, 2017 01:29PM
parklover
Thanks for the update on Degnan's. Last time we were there( early June) we had to wait a long time for a empty shuttle, the shuttle driver was having a meltdown and ran into the curb at the new parking lot stop. A shuttle manager that was trying to get people on the shuttles also was having a meltdown and was yelling at people for no reason. Arggg. T Meadows, here I come.
Shuttle, as in the hybrid buses? I guess they are shuttles, but I always think of a shuttle as something smaller than the large valley buses.
July 22, 2017 01:27PM
troutwild
as I finally approached Housekeeping Camp, I noticed a parking spot right at the entrance. I whipped in, parked, grabbed my pack and walked back to Upper Pines and beat the shuttle (that had been right behind me) back to the campground by 30 minutes. When camping in the Valley, I NEVER get in my car again until I actually leave the Valley. My legs, bike and the shuttles work fine but, this time, Tuolumne Meadows was calling my name.
Why did you park in housekeeping camp if you had a site in Upper Pines?
July 22, 2017 03:34PM
As I mentioned, I was gridlocked in the roundabout/parking loop for 1½ hours then Southside drive was gridlocked from near Sentinel Bridge and I really needed to be back at camp to start dinner. I had no idea how much longer I would sit & creep on Southside Drive so I bailed @ Housekeeping Camp. Including the 15 minute walk back to Upper Pines, I arrived 45 minutes before the Shuttle (that had been directly behind me) reached stop 15. Interestingly, Southside Drive (eastbound) was roadblocked @ Stoneman Bridge, forcing all traffic around the Curry loop, also gridlocked. I also noticed that Northside Drive, from Stoneman Bridge to the roundabout, although still one-way, now has the shuttles/buses in the right lane (previously the left lane) which seemed to be causing some confusion for certain people. To add to the confusion, Northside Drive now narrows to a single lane shortly before the roundabout. All of this on a Thursday afternoon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login