Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Re: May Lake hike

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May Lake hike
July 08, 2017 03:05PM
Is May lake accessible? Anyone been there this year?

I'm planning to be in the Tioga pass area next weekend. Will I need to go across streams to get to May lake?
July 08, 2017 10:04PM
No creeks to cross to get to May Lake. And it should be reasonably open and clear by now.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
July 08, 2017 11:00PM
Was thinking of going to May Lake for sunrise photography. Makes sense?
July 09, 2017 04:35AM
samanan
Was thinking of going to May Lake for sunrise photography. Makes sense?
It's all good in Yosemite smiling smiley
You might consider climbing up on the ridge behind the May Lake HSC for the best views, especially at sunrise.
July 10, 2017 01:00PM
Read the following update on May Lake trailhead and hike on the Yosemite Facebook page:

Reponse from Yosemite National Park
Yosemite National Park: The road is not open.
From the Tioga road to May Lake on the May Lake trail, the trail is snow free until 1/4 mile south of Snow Flat. After that the trail is covered with 2-4 feet of snow and very difficult to navigate. From Snow Flat on we hiked along the May Lake road to the trail head. The May Lake road still has a lot of snow ranging from 2-8ft deep. From the trail head to May Lake there is 99% snow coverage at an average depth of 6ft. May Lake is still frozen over and the High Sierra Camp is completely covered in snow.

· July 7 at 11:59am · Edited
July 10, 2017 06:33PM
Still frozen over ??
6 feet of snow on the trail ??

WoW !!
July 10, 2017 06:50PM
Can't say first-hand...

Other than... I know that area holds snow longer than others...

Took this Friday...

(well... that... and May Lake is accessible year round ... tongue sticking out smiley )

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 06:51PM by chick-on.
July 11, 2017 04:30PM
Was at Saddleback on Saturday. The owner said he thinks they'll be open Aug. 1st. Tons of snow up there
July 12, 2017 11:46AM
was actually nice to actually literally see some amount of snow

just felt like someone pulling on my leg...

Have fun,
QueRrrrresssSTeewhY

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 14, 2017 08:42AM
May Lake 7/13. Road to trailhead parking lot still closed. There is a downed tree across the road about 1/4? mile in. We could have driven our SUV over the piles of snow on the road but near the end the melted area was too narrow to get a car through and would have to be plowed to widen it. You can easily walk across or go around the snow on the road. In a few places there is still some snow piles on the trail, only a few feet high which again you can easily cross over or go around. A few trees that have fallen across the trail that we either walked around or stepped over. We did not walk around the lake so I can't say how it is but the area we did had lots of clear areas so it was easy to walk around. Lake is mostly still frozen over. Unfortunately we couldn't stay long since my son started to get a migraine. It definitely was beautiful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2017 09:27AM by parklover.
July 14, 2017 01:36PM
parklover
May Lake 7/13. Road to trailhead parking lot still closed. There is a downed tree across the road about 1/4? mile in. We could have driven our SUV over the piles of snow on the road but near the end the melted area was too narrow to get a car through and would have to be plowed to widen it. You can easily walk across or go around the snow on the road. In a few places there is still some snow piles on the trail, only a few feet high which again you can easily cross over or go around. A few trees that have fallen across the trail that we either walked around or stepped over. We did not walk around the lake so I can't say how it is but the area we did had lots of clear areas so it was easy to walk around. Lake is mostly still frozen over. Unfortunately we couldn't stay long since my son started to get a migraine. It definitely was beautiful.
Pics ?
July 23, 2017 04:29PM
My husband took some and I still have not seen them. I took a few with my phone. I wish there was an easier way to post pictures on here. If I figure it out, I will post some.
July 23, 2017 05:20PM
I'm not familiar with the app Tapatalk, but I've read that it's easy to post pictures from your phone to forums like this one if you use the app.
July 11, 2017 05:54PM
So Tioga lake is probably my best bet for sunrise photography? Want to catch some alpenglow and reflections. Other ideas?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login