Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tent Recommendation

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tent Recommendation
July 18, 2017 01:05PM
Hi Everyone,
My wife is wanting to join me on my backpacking adventures (mostly in the Sierra), so I am looking for a tent that will be a good fit for us. Currently, I have a small 2-man tent that is good enough for me and my stuff for weekend trips. Not so great for a second person. Neither of us are petite - I'm 6'3", she is 5'10", so I was considering a 3 person tent and just dealing with the extra ounces. We have a few 5+ day trips planned over the next few years, so I'd rather have a little extra room. This tent will be for summer/fall use mostly (haven't quite talked her into snow trips yet...).
I was looking at the REI Quarter Dome 3, but am open to suggestions.
Here are some of the features I'd be looking for:

- Light (ish) weight - not looking for true ultra light, but probably less than 5 lbs
- Vestibule that will hold 2 packs out of the rain
- Enough head room that we can sit up and play cards to pass the time during storms/mosquito swarms
- Decent amount of mesh for the tent body so we can see the scenery when the rain fly isn't on

I appreciate any input anyone has!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2017 01:06PM by hulkman75.
July 18, 2017 01:37PM
Get the QD3 (the latest version) ...

It's super nice.

Vert wallz

Wide foot

I wouldn't really bother looking elsewhere.
If no like... obviously you can just return it w/i a year.
(no?)

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 18, 2017 01:42PM
Thanks, I'm sold. I'd be stupid not to take the advise of someone who spends more time in the back country than most Yosemite rangers grinning smiley
July 18, 2017 02:48PM
Basilbop and I LOVE it too! We actually bought it when it was first released earlier this year to replace our well-worn just over a year old previously new model QD3. The new model released this year is a definite improvement!

The three of us are much more comfy! More headroom! Big plus for tall guys! Don't get suckered into super sale of older model if u plan on going out often! Worth it! More vertical walls very handy!!!

Enjoy!!
July 18, 2017 02:56PM
We used the QD2 a lot too. But ... dang... QD3 is just way moar roomier.

I think we could fit 5 in there for dinner without toooo much issue.

Hulkdood may want to go to REI and check out the new QD2 too.
But QD3 should be able to hold their packs and stuff no problemo.

old QD2 is a bit snuggly with two Chick-on size peeps in it (5'12"winking smiley
tongue sticking out smiley

July 18, 2017 03:00PM
Ha! 5''12"? Yah. Chickon stretching truth a bit!
July 18, 2017 04:27PM
We have the old model QDT2. It's rectangular and something like 90" x 54". Our we-love-them-can-sleep-all-night-won't-consider-giving-them-up new Nemo Astro pads are 25-26" wide, so we can't use most 2P tents. Our QDT2 is still good, but it's pretty heavy and I've been looking for a 52" wide (at the head and feet) replacement that is lighter. Love the open screen for nighttime star gazing before sleep.

I'm going to put it on a scale to check the weight; it might be heavier than the new model QD3, which is a good value. I've had only good luck with REI tents so far (I think we're on #3 now).

Edit:
Old version of the QDT2: 4 lb. 6.5 oz. (weighed tent body, rain fly & poles; no stakes, guy lines, stuff sack or footprint)
New QD2 listed minimum trail weight on REI.com: 3 lb. 5 oz. (slightly smaller than the old QDT2 - width tapers at the feet)
New QD3 listed minimum trail weight on REI.com: 4 lb. 1 oz. (much larger than the old QDT2)

Looks like I have a new gear quest in the near future...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2017 11:41PM by ags.
July 18, 2017 05:06PM
Only over a year old and already worn out-ish....
Seesh you guys spend too much time outdoors hahah

Little jealous...thats all....
July 18, 2017 08:34PM
KevinD
Only over a year old and already worn out-ish....
Seesh you guys spend too much time outdoors hahah

Little jealous...thats all....

Z Old Stick N Fedders decided on like dey won to do a SmokeFire Test
on the QD3... It was a successful test.... it duz indeed start on fire...
I think he said it was definitely not his fault/user error.
I'm also pretty sure I was in the tent at the time and shrieked like a little girl.

smiling smiley

August 10, 2017 12:20PM
After setting up our new QD3, I cut off the enormous warning sewn into a seam. I read it and wondered "who needs to be told not to bring a stove, heater or campfire into the tent?"

I guess now I know... :-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 08:51AM by ags.
August 16, 2017 09:16PM
Oh- the stove wasn't IN the tent!
August 21, 2017 10:43AM
I suspected as much :-)

Here's the warning label I referred to. Apparently some people must be told not to bring fire inside...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 08:50AM by ags.
July 18, 2017 03:29PM
Thanks for the tip on the older version. It's tempting to save the $, but most would probably pay 10 times when they are stuck in a tent for hours during a rain storm wishing they bought the bigger/better version. It's a shame there is not 2.5 person tent out there. I'm planning on stopping by with the wifey next week and crawl in.
July 18, 2017 05:01PM
The new QD3s look impressive! Kind of want to get one now...not sure the significant other would be pleased with more tents...
July 18, 2017 08:47PM
Basilbop, chickon and I have a problem. You do not want to know how many tents/shelters we have combined.

I think per head, chickon may have us beat based on fact Basilbop and I have sold off a number of older units.

Not sure you can have too many tents. Probably, but all our good friends seem to be in multi-tenters too!
July 19, 2017 08:04PM
JustKeepWalking

Not sure you can have too many tents
I absolutely agree! That also applies to stoves and sleeping bags! (been trying to rationalize to the significant other why we all of a sudden got 3 4th season tents in the last few weeks....couldn't resist sales....)
July 19, 2017 09:51AM
I have a similar problem as JKW, I may be up to 7 or 8 tents - mostly 4-season, as I used to go snow camping with a bunch of friends and seemed to be the one to bring the gear. I would love to bring one of those, but they are way too heavy to consider. Luckily, I married well, and my wife doesn't mind me buying extra gear. We have an arrangement....she doesn't count my tents, and I don't count her purses grinning smiley
July 19, 2017 08:06PM
OHH I like 4-season tents! Which which! I just got the SD Convert. Somewhat light tunnel tent (no more than 5lbs) that should help ease my back pains on snow camping trips lol. May just use it for rainy trips too as its a double wall that pitches from the outside like the Hillebergs
July 20, 2017 09:09AM
I have some older North Face tents - Mountian 25, Oval 24, Westwind, also a Moss Astraldome (I think), all from the late 90's/early 00's. The Moss is by far my favorite, but it weighs in at over 10 pounds (I had to double check on that). There may be another one hiding on the shelf. I'll probably try to sell some of them to fund newer and lighter equipment. We'll see smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2017 09:15AM by hulkman75.
July 20, 2017 10:50AM
I wouldn't have started a thread just for this, but since you're talking tent recommendations..

I'm looking for a 3 season tent for my little family (me 6'2", wife 5'4", and 2 kiddos (2yrs and 3 yrs)). Have an old 8 person tent, but that is not much fun.

Right now just for car camping, but planning on doing weekend trips next year. Any recommendations?
July 22, 2017 10:24PM
Arendi
I wouldn't have started a thread just for this, but since you're talking tent recommendations..

I'm looking for a 3 season tent for my little family (me 6'2", wife 5'4", and 2 kiddos (2yrs and 3 yrs)). Have an old 8 person tent, but that is not much fun.

Right now just for car camping, but planning on doing weekend trips next year. Any recommendations?

I just bought this one to replace my smaller 2 person, 3 season tent. My main reason was I wanted something I could stand up in. It doesn't quite fit your height but depending upon you needs may work. Although I have not used it yet I did pitch it at home in about a minute. The fly took a few minutes more since it was my first time trying it and I was not using any instructions. For the size and price I believe it to be a very good value in the car camping category. YMMV.

https://www.costco.com/CORE-6-person-Instant-Cabin-Tent-.product.100341698.html
July 24, 2017 12:45PM
That looks like a good deal! I will go get one of those, since I am likely overestimating my time line as far as doing back country hikes. For that it seems to be too heavy, buy should hold up great for the car camping trips.

Thanks for the recommendation!
July 24, 2017 01:38PM
Arendi
That looks like a good deal! I will go get one of those, since I am likely overestimating my time line as far as doing back country hikes. For that it seems to be too heavy, buy should hold up great for the car camping trips.

Thanks for the recommendation!

You're welcome. Oh yeah, for sure it is not for backpacking. But it should make for a good car camping tent. I even managed to get it back in the carry bag after only one redo. :-)

Good luck with it.

Edit: Forgot to add that I purchased this tarp for a footprint.......http://www.homedepot.com/p/8-ft-x-10-ft-Heavy-Duty-Tarp-HF0810/202026938

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2017 02:12PM by JohnC.
August 10, 2017 10:47AM
I got the QD3 on Saturday. First thoughts when I set it up was that I got too big of a tent for just 2 people based on looks. Once we got in, it turned out to be the perfect size for 2 people to fit comfortably with space to spare. I could see how 3 people would fit pretty tightly, but the person in the middle better have a large bladder, or else they need to do some midnight gymnastics to get over a sleeping companion and to the door. I'll be trying it out over Labor Day. Looking forward to using the new toy. Thanks for the great recommendations!
August 10, 2017 12:13PM
I did the same, as an upgrade from an older version QDT2Plus. Only need room for 2 people, but our luxurious (but light) Nemo sleeping pads are 25" wide and most lightweight 2-person tents are too narrow, at least at the feet, to accommodate them. And this 3-person tent is lighter than our older style 2-person.

This tent is very spacious for two people, but it can fit a bunch of stuff (in case of rain - though the vestibules offer lots of room for that) or maybe a dog. What I do find very nice is the headroom (you can sit comfortably, valuable in case of extended rain or hiding from swarms of mosquitoes) and the full mesh ceiling for stargazing.

The light weight is due to use of very light material; I could feel grass blades poking up under the floor. I've only had good experiences with REI tents, and hope this will be the same. Only time and field use will tell.

The one thing that will take some getting used to is the wonky double-hubbed single-pole setup. Will have to figure out how to pack down really small, and do it quickly/efficiently.

Good luck with yours.
August 10, 2017 12:44PM
I had the same experience when I set it up on the lawn. I hadn't picked up the foot print yet, it almost felt like the grass was going to go straight through. This is my first lightweight tent. My other ones are way heavier, and feel really stout, but they should for weighing 8-10 lbs. I'll just have to use some care until I get used to it. It will make a big difference in the pack weight, that's for sure.
August 16, 2017 09:26PM
Just FYI..

We use Tyvek for the ground cloth. Replacements are cheap if need to be done. Very durable for weight.

We have used various materials for groundcloths... as light as polycro and as heavy as the "manufacturer" groundcloths if found for reasonable price. Polycro is great for waterproof (Winter on snow) but not nearly as durable.

I really think I like the Tyvek most for our needs. We use the heavier "housewrap" thickness for our QD3. It comes in wide enough size (we bought a roll because we have enough use).There is a thinner option, craft-project use. Not as durable, not as water proof, not as wide so would need to tape wings on for better coverage. YMMV.
August 21, 2017 10:54AM
Yeah - I thought about using Tyvek as a ground cover/footprint. Good stuff. The only thing that lacks are the nice grommets and clips that keep the entire setup together (footprint, tent & rain fly) at the corners. I went ahead and bought the official REI footprint. I'll weigh it and post. How much does the custom-fit Tyvek weigh for the QD3?
August 21, 2017 11:06AM
Just back from 6 days in YOSE with the new QD3. Overall, I found it to be very good, with one major drawback. I'd actually call it a significant fail on REI's part, but can still recommend the tent. For two people it felt like being in the Taj Mahal. Lots of space and can sit up easily. Big vestibules. Fast & easy setup (even in the rain...).

The one miss (fail) is that the rain fly doors are about 6" too "close" to the center of the tent. Meaning in rain (which we had) when the door on the fly is zipped open, you'll get a soaking inside the tent - about 4-6" in from the wall. I'm surprised this wasn't taken into consideration in the design. Even after I noticed this, it wasn't possible to avoid. No matter how much I tapped on the fly before unzipping/opening, there was always some residual water that would leak in.

Oh, and this seems common for most tents, perhaps to save $$, but maybe even more to allow a lighter claimed trail weight: if you plan to fully stake out the tent with cords at all four corners, both vestibules and either end, you'll need to add four more stakes to your kit. Or you can skip the stakes on the tent corners and rely on the cords on the corners. I prefer to have both when there is wind.
September 07, 2017 08:54AM
Over the past month we have used the old model QD2 and the new QD3 in numerous thunderstorms. We usually try to exit the tent during breaks in the heavy rain. A few drops with both, but no big. Just have to make sure things are strategically placed in vestibule area when opening fly.

In past if rain is constant and heavy, we use our umbrellas on exit/entry and that prevents and major issues.

Haven't really had a tent I can get into and out of easily that also prevents water from dripping in...
September 07, 2017 08:47AM
No idea on custom fit. We cut our own from a roll.
We haven't had a problem with no grommets and all. Haven't had need to do a fast pitch with just ground cloth and fly.
September 07, 2017 11:59AM
We just finished a 5-day trip to Nelson Lake/Vogelsang area with our new QD3. I really enjoyed the extra room that the 3 person tent affords. We were able to keep the packs inside when the weather threatened and didn't feel cramped. The extra weight bringing a 3 person vs a 2 person wasn't a deal since we split the tent between the 2 of us. We had no rain, so I can't comment on that, but I did have my umbrella which I was going to use if needed.
One thing I did notice was that during high winds, the tent was real stable, but dirt was blowing under the fly and on to the tent body. The mesh of the tent acted as a sieve and we woke up to a fine layer of dust on our bags and inside the tent. Had we known the direction of the wind before we set up, we could have put the narrow side into the wind, but the wind came up overnight.
The REI foot print for it is real thin and doesn't provide too much puncture prevention. I set the fly on a boulder and set a few small rocks on it to hold it down while it dried out, and noticed some small holes as a result. I would have rather bought a roll of Tyvek and made my own, but time didn't allow for that.
All told, I was real happy with it. I like the storage inside the tent for things like glasses, headlamps, etc. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a light tent at a great price (especially when using the 20% coupon).
September 11, 2017 05:34PM
Just returned from another week on the east side (Humphreys Basin area). Still really like this new QD3 tent (even for just two people). One other observation/comparison to our previous, heavier QD2+ tent is its opaqueness. There was a full moon and when the clouds finally dissipated, the moonlight was so strong that it almost looked like day inside the tent. I woke up a few times during the night and had to poke my head out the vestibule to see if it was still nighttime (moonlight) or if the sun was coming up.
September 11, 2017 08:24PM
Dunno if it keeps u up, but it can bother me.

I have found the Buff pulled over my eyes (double layer is great for me) works like a charm and stays in place better than single-purpose eyemasks.

In colder weather, my polar Buff doubles as my hat and eye mask!

Thanks to Chickon for that trick!

Basilbop sometimes uses gloves that can be attached to each other, but he sleeps like a log and doesn't move around at all. I roll about and sleep on my side, so need something that will stay put.

YMMV
September 12, 2017 07:48AM
I sleep with a Buff (lightweight - wife has the Polar version) in cold weather. Never thought of pulling it over my eyes. The light doesn't really bother me. I sleep like a log too. But I'll keep that in mind. Great idea, thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login