All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Clouds rest "foot trail" near the summit
August 10, 2017 03:17PM
Hi all

I am planning to hike Clouds Rest during labor day. I hiked half dome last weekend and half way through the sub-dome, my acrophobia kicked in and I had to return before I reached the bottom of the cables.

I have seen the videos of the Clouds Rest ridge and it is scary. However, I read in this forum somewhere that there is a foot trail that is safer and less treacherous. In this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP6IDWJ3DlE, at 3:36, I see signs to a foot trail. Is this the safe foot trail? When I reach this spot, should I turn left and continue?

Any advise is welcome.

Thanks.
Re: Clouds rest "foot trail" near the summit
August 10, 2017 03:27PM
Yes, there is a "bypass trail" that will allow you to continue on your route without traversing the absolute top (the "spine" ) of the ridge along the Clouds Rest trail. I can't say whether or not you will be comfortable on it, but I can say that there definitely is less exposure and so likely less anxiety taking that segment. [Note: I've passed that junction more than once, but never taken the bypass trail. If I recall correctly it is tucked up against the base of the "spine" - on the side away from Tenaya Canyon, with little exposure] If you got past the steps on the subdome, my guess is that you'll be OK on the bypass - but that's just my opinion. Others here that have been on that segment can offer more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2017 03:36PM by ags.
August 10, 2017 03:42PM
Got it, thanks. I will keep an eye on the bypass trail, I hope it is well marked.
avatar Re: Clouds rest "foot trail" near the summit
August 10, 2017 07:33PM
Here is a like to a picture Chick-on took back in '09. You can see me to the right of the spine about 15' or so below the actual ridge on the "trail".

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,5720,5823#msg-5823

Old Dude
August 14, 2017 09:54AM
I took these two videos on Saturday as I had seen your post before heading out. Didn't recollect that you were looking for side trail options and you can see the right-side side trail in one of the videos. The left-side side trail is relatively easier and spine is not too bad either.
Clouds Rest Yosemite - airy part smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2017 10:37AM by nwhkr.
August 15, 2017 05:46PM
Thank you.
August 21, 2017 10:05AM
File is now unavailable...
August 21, 2017 10:38AM
ags
File is now unavailable...
Should be up now
September 04, 2017 07:51PM
I am super happy to report that I summitted Clouds Rest yesterday. Many thanks to this forum and @mrcondron in particular. Yes, I found the "trail" on the ridge and I also had a trusted friend who I followed like a puppy up the ridge. I have some pictures that explains the "trail" part of it. I am writing a blog post, will post a link to that when done with pictures.

Thanks all, you made my day / week / month / year. This has been the first big highlight of my hiking life so far.
September 04, 2017 08:15PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login