Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tent-potty and Tuolumne on a Thursday

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tent-potty and Tuolumne on a Thursday
August 11, 2017 06:59AM
Going on our first family camping trip in Yosemite, we try to cross our ts and dot the is in the preparation phase.
A big part of that for me is creating a safe camp site.. but our older one is potty training, so we were thinking (to make it easier at night) of keeping his potty in the tent for the unavoidable nightly business. Does that pose an attraction to wild life (you know, "scented" items...). First thoughts tell me no, but I have never tried it myself winking smiley

Also, without a reservation, we are trying to get into Tuolumne Meadows on 8/24.. any recommendation as far as what time we'd have to show up to grab two sites?
avatar Re: Tent-potty and Tuolumne on a Thursday
August 11, 2017 11:53AM
Arendi
any recommendation as far as what time we'd have to show up to grab two sites?

Get there and get in line early.
August 11, 2017 01:41PM
The missus doesn't know yet, but planning on getting there 8-8:30 .. Alternatively looking at Tamarack Flat, but that's a ways to back track
August 11, 2017 03:55PM
Drove by yesterday about 9am. Lots of people in line.
August 11, 2017 05:34PM
Sorry, but I don't think that 8-8:30 is anywhere near early enough, especially on a Thursday(8/24).
I try to be in line by 7 AM, and we usually go up there on a Sunday or Monday morning when many campers are packing up to leave. We have had very good luck on finding good sites that way. Best of luck with your time there.
August 11, 2017 05:45PM
Thank you Eeeek for that data point, revising our time to 6.30, ideally earlier. Thursday isn't as good as Sunday, but better than Friday or Saturday, which were our other options.
Gonna be up there with my brother and his family, flying in from Germany, so not too much flexibility in the dates.
Anyone know if one person can get two sites? winking smiley my wife will get the second one, but would be more fun for her and the kids to wander
August 11, 2017 05:57PM
I would advise against keeping the training potty in the tent, for the smell-attraction issue you mentioned. Back east here in Georgia, on the Appalachian Trail the shelters have pit toilets with latches on the toilet seats because bears might be attracted to it and they don't want the bears climbing down into the pit. I imagine that your training potty could have a similar appeal to Yosemite bears.
August 11, 2017 06:14PM
JRinGeorgia
Back east here in Georgia, on the Appalachian Trail the shelters have pit toilets with latches on the toilet seats because bears might be attracted to it and they don't want the bears climbing down into the pit. I imagine that your training potty could have a similar appeal to Yosemite bears.

Maybe. But Yosemite bears are a lot smarter than those back east.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login