All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Food and other needs in valley for campers
October 23, 2017 09:41AM
We're heading to Upper Pines next week (29th through 3rd), and have always relied on the Lodge food court for evening meals and a few breakfasts or lunches. Now I hear it's closed for remodeling, and since I haven't camped in the valley since Aramark took over, was wondering what choices are left...not only for food, but a couple of other things:

1. I heard there was some sort of buffet at the lodge restaurant to fill in for the being-remodeled food court. If so, what sort of breakfast and dinner choices are there? Similar to the food court when DNC ran it, or ?. Hot dishes and hamburgers, or refrigerated burritos and sandwiches? Are there hot breakfasts at the buffet, or must one go in and be waited on? How about Degnan's? Is it still mostly lunchtime sandwiches, or has it changed? Pizza loft still open? What about Curry? (sorry, haven't converted to the new names yet) Any choices there for hot breakfasts, lunches, or dinners? We never cared much for the Curry food choices before in off-season, and always used the lodge, but has it changed?

I'd prefer not a sit-and-be-waited-on restaurant, not interested in the Mountain Room, but would like to know ahead of time if we have to bring most of our meals or if there is something with food and prices similar to the food court under DNC. Also...

2. Are the showers still handled the same (at Curry)? Off season there was never anyone there to collect fees, and no one seemed to care if campers just went in, using our own towels and showered, but has it changed?

3. Is there any open or reasonable cost wifi available anywhere? Last time I was there they had just locked down the wifi at Curry lounge, and it took some doing to scramble around and find an open wifi. Our Sprint phones were worthless for data in the valley, so couldn't use the hotspot, however I do have to check email once a day for my business. I used to use the Cliff Room wifi when we weren't staying at the Lodge, but they closed that up, and then the same happened to the Curry Lounge later. Paying the Lodge $10 every day for a few minutes of connection seemed ridiculous, but was always able to find something open if I looked around a bit. Hopefully Sprint's data signal there has improved and I can just use a hotspot, but not counting on it.

Any info on any of the above appreciated.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
Re: Food and other needs in valley for campers
October 23, 2017 02:55PM
To help with our recent impressions, the Lodge Food Court is being remodeled/expanded and a temporary alternative is in the nearby Garden Terrace room. Food service is all pre-prepared, unlike the old setup with stations for orders. Hot food is like the serving station from before -- heated pans with the day's offerings. The opening night dinner menu was Harvest Beef Stew, Buttermilk Biscuit Vegetarian Pot Pie, and Beer Braised Chicken. However, most people moved past them while we were there. Think pricey school cafeteria. There's also soups and chili and pre-made burgers and pizza and a cold case with things like sandwiches and salads. Breakfast follows the same m.o. with scrambled eggs, meats, breads and pastries, cereals, etc. It's all functional but it's a limited version of the full-sized Food Court. We had hopes for the Mountain Room Lounge service as well but it really wasn't much more than before.

Degnan's is all remodeled and streamlined, with terminals for ordering sandwiches and pizzas. Similar offerings but it feels like there's ... less. Upstairs has more the beer-and-wine-bar vibe than it did, still doing pizzas. No input on Curry -- the night we were going to the Pizza Deck, the shuttle service was so screwy that we gave up. But you get the impression that pizza is the most abundant and reliable meal option in the Valley these days ...

http://www.travelyosemite.com/lodging/dining/yosemite-valley-lodge/
http://www.travelyosemite.com/lodging/dining/yosemite-village/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2017 02:58PM by phantum.
October 25, 2017 08:22AM
Thanks for the info on the food situation...sounds like we can probably get by for a few nights with what they're offering at the Garden Terrace (and get away from the smoky evening campground). Maybe will try for a couple of hot breakfasts too, depending on weather, but will see what is available. I always liked the hot oatmeal at the food court, not only good but the price was reasonable. If the mornings are cold, it's a nice way to warm up.

Gary
October 26, 2017 12:22PM
When we were there last weekend, Degan's was serving chili. They also have baked goods that you could get for breakfast. Since we were there at lunch, I am not sure what other things they are serving for breakfast but there was still a sign out that said biscuits and gravy so they must have other breakfast options. The sandwich options are not as many as there used to be. There are also premade sandwiches, salads, etc. The Pizza Loft will be closing on Oct 30. The Pizza Deck at Curry will still be opened, we had pizza there one night. I have heard multiple closing dates for Curry Pavilion but it will be opened for part of your trip if not all of it. We had friends with us visiting from back east so we ate in the Mountain Room one night so we didn't look at the other choices at Yosemite Lodge. Don't know what the prices of wifi are not since we used our (Verizon) cell phones to check email and such when we were in Yosemite Village, Yosemite Lodge and Curry.
October 26, 2017 10:12PM
Thanks Parklover, it's nice to get such current information. Sounds like it's not going to be much of a problem, though I'm sure I'll miss the convenience of the food court.

Gary
October 29, 2017 07:07PM
Sierrafan
Thanks Parklover, it's nice to get such current information. Sounds like it's not going to be much of a problem, though I'm sure I'll miss the convenience of the food court.
I am sure that you will find something good to eat. It will be interesting to see how the replacement of the food court will be. The Food Court has been going downhill for years. After I got food poisoning from a dinner there, we only would eat breakfast there after that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login