Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Starbucks headed for Yosemite?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Starbucks headed for Yosemite?
January 07, 2018 09:15AM
As part of the YL food court remodel, Starbucks could be added:
http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article193082599.html
January 07, 2018 01:07PM
Yeah, gimme one of those El Cap fraps smiling smiley
avatar Re: Starbucks headed for Yosemite?
January 07, 2018 08:40PM
My understanding is that this will just be replacing the Peet's Coffee that's already been established at Yosemite Lodge (and the Curry Coffee Corner, too). Which makes this more a fight against something that's already been settled, as opposed to further corporate encroachment.

Which in my mind makes it a bit less horrifying, although I'd still prefer to have some independent coffee shop in those spaces if they're going to be there in the first place.

Equally a bummer is that Peet's has way better coffee than Starbucks, so this is a net loss for everyone.
January 09, 2018 01:18PM
The change.org petition protesting this move is too funny. They're basically complaining that coffee being provided by multinational German firm, Joh. A. Benckiser (https://www.jabholco.com/), the parent company of Peet's Coffee, is being replaced by a multinational American firm (Starbucks).

Yes, I think the quality of Peet's Coffee is overall better than Starbucks coffee, but this isn't something I'm going to lose any sleep over, let alone protest the move by signing a change.org petition.

Leave No Trace
January 09, 2018 02:39PM
plawrence
this isn't something I'm going to lose any sleep over

Unless you drink too much coffee?
January 09, 2018 04:25PM
Little known fact is that Starbuck's was created by some ex-Peet's employees who thought they could grow the business more...and Alfred Peet wasn't interested.

Turns out they were right.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
January 09, 2018 04:49PM
In my lifetime, I have yet to consume an entire pot of coffee, but on a
trip to CA in Sept., some friends took me to Dutch Bros., a place they
said would make you throw rocks at Starbucks. They bought me a
girly drink infused with chocolate, caramel, sprinkles, whipped cream, etc.

In order to appease their generosity, I drank the entire $6 concoction. (For
that price, you could get all the re-fills that you and the horse you rode in on
could hold, here in Nebraska.) Now, 4 months later, I am happy to report that
I can once again get both eyes shut at the same time.

My 2 cents worth: As long as it doesn't blot out the scenery, Starbucks can
expand to the Valley. I don't care.
January 09, 2018 08:43PM
AnotherDave
In my lifetime, I have yet to consume an entire pot of coffee, but on a
trip to CA in Sept., some friends took me to Dutch Bros., a place they
said would make you throw rocks at Starbucks. They bought me a
girly drink infused with chocolate, caramel, sprinkles, whipped cream, etc.

In order to appease their generosity, I drank the entire $6 concoction. (For
that price, you could get all the re-fills that you and the horse you rode in on
could hold, here in Nebraska.) Now, 4 months later, I am happy to report that
I can once again get both eyes shut at the same time.

My 2 cents worth: As long as it doesn't blot out the scenery, Starbucks can
expand to the Valley. I don't care.

Thank goodness it wasn't Dutch Bros. that Aramark selected as their coffee vendor. Looking at their menu, it appears that their strategy is to pump as much sugar and sweeteners in their "coffee" drinks and other soft drink concoctions. It's probably very popular for those who enjoy a bit of coffee with their mega-dose of sugar each morning.

Leave No Trace
January 10, 2018 02:39AM
AnotherDave
As long as it doesn't blot out the scenery, Starbucks can expand to the Valley. I don't care.
Unfortunately, this may concern more than just a few Valley locations. If this goes through, will Starbuck's coffee then totally replace Peet's coffee in all of Yosemite? - The Peet's contract now extends to the entire park? We currently brew/use Peet's in Tuolumne...Will this change?
I too could give a rat's ass about if they sell those fru-fru drinks at the Valley's coffee corner...my concern is with a regular cup of Joe up in Meadows..
January 10, 2018 12:31PM
The underlying issue seems to be the concern that National Parks will be more “conspicuously” commercial in the future — and Starbucks is conspicuous. There’s plenty of money being passed around in contracts and concessions, but some people don’t want to be reminded of it. The lawyer retirement fund created by the battle over Yosemite place name ownership is another example that the value we place on parks doesn’t necessarily mean the same for everyone ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 11:47AM by phantum.
January 11, 2018 10:50AM
"Peet sold his business to Sal Bonavita in 1979, but remained working with the company as a coffee buyer and consultant until 1983. In 1984, Jerry Baldwin, a Starbucks founder, bought Peet's four locations from Sal Bonavita. In 1987, Baldwin and his Starbucks co-investors sold Starbucks to focus on Peet's. Howard Schultz, Starbucks' new owner, entered into a four-year non-compete agreement in the Bay Area."
January 18, 2018 05:25PM
January 18, 2018 07:32PM
If you don't drink your coffee black, it isn't coffee anyway. grinning smiley

Starbucks is far from my first choice when it comes to coffee. But as the sailors say, any port in a storm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login