Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Trump plan would turn Yosemite into refuge for the wealthy

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Trump plan would turn Yosemite into refuge for the wealthy
January 11, 2018 04:32PM
If Donald Trump and his secretary of interior, Ryan Zinke, get their way, millions of people will be shut out from that experience of wonder and awe, as fees to visit our national parks skyrocket from $30 to $70.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/11/opinion-trump-plan-would-turn-yosemite-into-refuge-for-the-wealthy/
January 12, 2018 09:47AM
eeek
If Donald Trump and his secretary of interior, Ryan Zinke, get their way, millions of people will be shut out from that experience of wonder and awe, as fees to visit our national parks skyrocket from $30 to $70.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/11/opinion-trump-plan-would-turn-yosemite-into-refuge-for-the-wealthy/

Millions of people will not be "shut out" by a fee increase and Yosemite will not turn into a "refuge for the wealthy". C'mon man!
I'm as "un-wealthy" as you can get and I will continue to visit Yosemite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 09:55AM by ERICG.
avatar Re: Trump plan would turn Yosemite into refuge for the wealthy
January 14, 2018 01:56PM
My good fellow, attending Yosemite, aside for the very small minority of nutcases like us on this forum, is pretty much the textbook definition of an elastic good. There are so many reasonably similar alternatives that are cheaper and closer to populated areas that there's no way a marginal increase of $30 (^ +75%) isn't going to result in a huge decrease in attendance.

That's especially true for low- and middle-income families, who have largely seen no real wage growth since 1973. That thirty bucks is groceries for a week, or a big chunk of an electric bill. It's important, because when you're living on the edge, every dollar matters.

The real scandal is that we haven't chosen to fund the NPS to such an extent as to make attendance free for all citizens. America's National Parks are our common treasures and should be treated as such. We should be encouraging more people to go explore them, not erect even more obstacles to prevent the marginalized masses from visiting.
January 15, 2018 06:17AM
abetterpitchfork
My good fellow, attending Yosemite, aside for the very small minority of nutcases like us on this forum, is pretty much the textbook definition of an elastic good. There are so many reasonably similar alternatives that are cheaper and closer to populated areas that there's no way a marginal increase of $30 (^ +75%) isn't going to result in a huge decrease in attendance.

That's especially true for low- and middle-income families, who have largely seen no real wage growth since 1973. That thirty bucks is groceries for a week, or a big chunk of an electric bill. It's important, because when you're living on the edge, every dollar matters.

The real scandal is that we haven't chosen to fund the NPS to such an extent as to make attendance free for all citizens. America's National Parks are our common treasures and should be treated as such. We should be encouraging more people to go explore them, not erect even more obstacles to prevent the marginalized masses from visiting.

The people that need(ed) "thirty bucks for groceries" a week weren't coming to Yosemite in the first place. Yosemite was never more important to anyone over feeding their families or paying an electric bill. People are being encourage go out and explore our national parks or maybe you are just not paying attention. Utah, for example, is advertising their "Mighty 5" national parks on television, social media, and in print constantly. The national parks have numerous "get in free days" with today being one of those days. Not sure if it's a "scandal" that attendance isn't free for all citizens but that would be nice. Again, I'm as "un-wealthy" as anyone and I will continue spending time in Yosemite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2018 06:21AM by ERICG.
January 15, 2018 08:07PM
If Yosemite, and most other National Parks, had free attendance, they would be loved to death. Especially the Parks that are close to major metrop[olitan areas.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login