All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite would close: How a federal shutdown would affect people
January 19, 2018 12:45PM
Congressional authorization for federal spending for many nonessential services expires at midnight Friday. The military and mail service would not be affected if lawmakers can’t reach a spending deal, but many other areas would be.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Yosemite-would-close-How-a-federal-shutdown-12506019.php
avatar Re: Yosemite would close: How a federal shutdown would affect people
January 19, 2018 01:36PM
I'm leaving for Moab a week from tomorrow. Guess I'll have to see how this plays out. I've already got a rental car and hotel booked. Not sure I'd make the trip just for Dead Horse Point.
January 19, 2018 02:33PM
The information being reported is a little confusing and contradictory. Some news papers are reporting that they are planning to keep access to the park open, but not actually pay employees working in the parks. Others say that California parks will close, while others will be allowed to stay open. We are due to visit this weekend, but have already cancelled a day while we wait to see what the government will do. Moments ago, I spoke with the front desk at the Yosemite Lodge (1-209-372-1274) and they themselves are getting conflicting reports, and will not know anything for sure till after 12 midnight east coast time. I can understand the park closing for flood or rock slide issues, like the ones that cancelled our last two winter trips we had booked for Yosemite. But this year, it is all a man made problem ruining our chance to get back to nature and away from the claustrophobic city. I don't care which side of the political fence someone is on, This effects everyone financially, from visitor to park employee.
January 20, 2018 12:03AM
According to the Sacramento Bee, Yosemite National Park will remain open and will be admission free, though there won't be any ranger walks and the museum and visitor centers might be closed.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article195687939.html

Leave No Trace
Re: Yosemite would close: How a federal shutdown would affect people
January 20, 2018 05:32AM
It appears the campgrounds are now closed until further notice.

https://www.recreation.gov/unifSearchResults.do

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2018 06:09AM by troutwild.
January 20, 2018 02:31AM
Here's a newer Chronicle story that discusses the possibility of leaving Yosemite open during the shutdown:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Shutdown-talks-Trump-officials-want-national-12510822.php

Kurtis Alexander (SF Chronicle staff writer)
Managers of individual parks, including Yosemite and Golden Gate National Recreation Area, were struggling late Friday to figure out what to do if Congress couldn’t reach a deal to keep operational funds flowing by the end-of-day deadline, which passed without an agreement.

Park leaders appeared to want to maintain access for visitors, as Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke urged earlier this week, but they also worried that basic services such as restroom maintenance and emergency response would be limited, leading to unkempt park property and potentially life-threatening risks for the public.

Figuring out what to open and what to close was amounting to a careful risk assessment.

During the October, 2013 shutdown they simply closed the park to everything but through traffic. You could drive in one gate and out a different one but the parking turnouts were coned off and you weren't supposed to stop or recreate. That presumably reduced the need for traffic control, restroom maintenance, and other nonessential services. I don't see how it'll work this time if visitors are allowed in as usual but half of the restrooms, for example, have to be locked or go unmaintained.
January 20, 2018 07:17AM
I think I may have asked this same question last time this situation arose: if Yosemite generates shed loads of money each and every year.....WHERE ON EARTH IS IT ALL GOING TO?Vulture
January 24, 2018 01:46PM
pines
I think I may have asked this same question last time this situation arose: if Yosemite generates shed loads of money each and every year.....WHERE ON EARTH IS IT ALL GOING TO?Vulture
Not all of the entrance fees charged in NPS units that have them goes to the park it is collected in. A percentage of the fee goes in a fund for parks that do not charge entrance fees. Off the top of my head, I can't remember the percentage. Parks also receive a percentage of the Concessionaire profits and the amount is determined by the contract for each park. Of course there is employee salaries, all kinds of management things, maintenance and repairs, facilities, vehicles and so on that is needed to run a park to think of. I am sure if you Google it, you could find out what money goes where.
January 20, 2018 10:08AM
Not specific to Yosemite, but the Alt National Park Service group posted general suggestions on facebook for dealing with parks during a shutdown:

PSA (Please Read & Share):
We need your help. The Trump administration came up with a plan to leave our national parks open with little to no staff. This leaves our parks unprotected! We need your help to monitor our national treasures until the government reopens!
Please remember:
1) That those working who are in the National Parks today are without pay and without the promise of back pay. They are trying to keep visitors and resources safe.
2) If there are concessions employees they will most likely not have the answers to all your questions.
3) If you plan to visit the parks during the shutdown, or your friends or loved ones do, please have alternative ways to dispose of trash and human waste in case trash cans are full and bathrooms are locked.
4) Please be respectful of others in campgrounds who have reservations that are not being honored. Please plan ahead so that you will know how to enjoy and respect the resource without feedback from rangers.
5) It is our right to respectfully document any resource degradation or other actions in this lapse.
6) Parks are open free, but this will leave them open to destruction and vandalism. There are very few rangers working to protect the lands.
7) If you see someone destroying the park please attempt to report it, take pictures, and document the situation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2018 10:09AM by phantum.
January 20, 2018 11:23AM
11:15 Saturday 20 Jan.

140 entrance open, not staffed.

Wawona Road was plowed but icy no chain signs, but peeps should be careful in cold icy sections.

Chinquapin bathroom locked, as expected from statement posted on closed Visitor Center door (sorry cant get photo of doc up)

Paraphrased from doc:

All NPS facilities closed, bathrooms locked. No trash or other services. Go on NPS PROPERTY AT OWN RISK.

No campground check/in checknout, no services, read like bathrooms would be locked. People responsible for dealing with their own trash and waste. But they were not removing campers.

However, ARAMARK seems operational. Shuttles are running, Valley Store is open. Ansel Adams gallery open.

More later if can.

* tried another NPS bathroom and it was open. Good thing I bring toilet supplies with me, just in case! I really hope people plan and prepare for inevitable bathroom stops. Tired of seeing toilet paper everywhere. Sigh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2018 11:36AM by JustKeepWalking.
January 22, 2018 12:44PM
JustKeepWalking
11:15 Saturday 20 Jan.

140 entrance open, not staffed.

Wawona Road was plowed but icy no chain signs, but peeps should be careful in cold icy sections.

Chinquapin bathroom locked, as expected from statement posted on closed Visitor Center door (sorry cant get photo of doc up)

Paraphrased from doc:

All NPS facilities closed, bathrooms locked. No trash or other services. Go on NPS PROPERTY AT OWN RISK.

No campground check/in checknout, no services, read like bathrooms would be locked. People responsible for dealing with their own trash and waste. But they were not removing campers.

However, ARAMARK seems operational. Shuttles are running, Valley Store is open. Ansel Adams gallery open.

More later if can.

* tried another NPS bathroom and it was open. Good thing I bring toilet supplies with me, just in case! I really hope people plan and prepare for inevitable bathroom stops. Tired of seeing toilet paper everywhere. Sigh.

I presume if the Aramark facilities are open so are the restrooms located in these facilities (Half Dome Village, the Majestic Hotel, the Yosemite Valley Lodge). Is this an accurate assessment?

Leave No Trace
January 22, 2018 02:15PM
plawrence

I presume if the Aramark facilities are open so are the restrooms located in these facilities (Half Dome Village, the Majestic Hotel, the Yosemite Valley Lodge). Is this an accurate assessment?

I would assume so since this page clearly mentions that "All Yosemite Hospitality operations will be available including lodging, dining, and shuttle service etc.." https://www.travelyosemite.com/lodging/the-majestic-yosemite-hotel/
January 23, 2018 07:30PM
Sorry didn’t see this sooner..

I was on the hunt for a decent bathroom, and yes I meant Aramark managed facilities were open, including bathrooms in their facilities, however NPS bathrooms, many of them at any rate, were locked. Though I did find some NPS ones open..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2018 07:30PM by JustKeepWalking.
January 24, 2018 12:00PM
Well....not that it matters for a few days now but just got back from SEKI. First time ever that I was in a National Park when the gov was shut down and opened!
Bathrooms were all closed. Roads were fine and didn't need any plowing thankfully. If the gov does shut down again, bring a pen since the self-registration booth didn't have one....result of the shut down??
January 24, 2018 01:36PM
KevinD
Well....not that it matters for a few days now but just got back from SEKI. First time ever that I was in a National Park when the gov was shut down and opened!
Bathrooms were all closed. Roads were fine and didn't need any plowing thankfully. If the gov does shut down again, bring a pen since the self-registration booth didn't have one....result of the shut down??
More like either someone took the pen or it got lost. Can't tell you how many times over the years that I have done self-registration in both state and national parks and there was not a pen or pencil. Now I always carry a small pen that was from a packet of pens I once bought as party favors.
January 24, 2018 09:39PM
parklover
KevinD
More like either someone took the pen or it got lost. Can't tell you how many times over the years that I have done self-registration in both state and national parks and there was not a pen or pencil. Now I always carry a small pen that was from a packet of pens I once bought as party favors.

I’m with Parklover. Probably nothing to do with shutdown...

We carry a ballpoint pen, a sharpie and paper plates with us in the car all the time, among other supplies we have learned can be useful...

A couple of weekends ago, I was asked by campers if I had a pen they could borrow so they could fill out their campground envelope.. I must’ve looked official. I *was* wearing a foresty green jacket.. and using a radio... (waiting for Chickon to appear from his day jaunt..)
January 21, 2018 12:21AM
Heading to Sequoia tomorrow. Will update on conditions when I can!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login