Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: High Sierra Camps

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

High Sierra Camps
February 02, 2018 10:11PM
Hello,
Has anyone been up to Vogelsang HSC? I am planning to take my 9 and 12 year old up there this summer and am trying to figure out if one or two nights is best. Are there any really cool hikes or secret spots within a couple hours of the camp? Or does it get kind of boring for the kids up there?
Thanks!
February 03, 2018 05:13AM
Welcome to the forum!
I assume you're backpacking? It's very difficult to get a reservation at the camps, but once you have your wilderness permit you can request a "meals only" plan at the camp if you're so inclined. It's a bit pricey but you don't have to take so much food or worry about preparation.
Assuming your kids like outdoor stuff, I would recommend at least two nights and probably 3. It'll take you the better part of the day to get there and set up camp unless you have chick-on speed (search this forum for chick-on).
Get a good map if you haven't already done so. I recommend Tom Harrison maps but there are others out there.
Regarding hikes, head out toward Evelyn lake and beyond to the saddle. Spend some time taking in the views.
Head up to Townsley lake, then maybe climb up to basket lake or go cross country to Evelyn
Head up to Vogelsang pass, passing Vogelsang lake, and take in the views. Climb up Vogelsang or Fletcher if you think it's safe for your kids to do so. Remember, boulders do fall down from up high so be careful.
I'm not a fisherman so I can't recommend any of the lakes but maybe some others will chime in. IMO, Vogelsang is one of the prettiest areas in the Sierra.
A quick search turned up this link: http://tedmuller.us/Outdoor/Hiking/2011/110818-VogelsangPass.htm
February 03, 2018 07:53AM
You could also easily add in a day hike to Emeric Lake, or Boothe Lake. From Toulumne Pass it is pretty easy to climb up the ridge and then over to Reymann Lake, too. It's a lovely area to explore

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
February 03, 2018 02:35PM
Thanks! We actually do have a reservation for the HSC. Now I'm thinking that even two days would be fun. Is it Vogelsang Pass that is tricky/risky or Vogelsang Peak? Thanks for all of the hiking tips.
February 03, 2018 03:08PM
apetel
Thanks! We actually do have a reservation for the HSC. Now I'm thinking that even two days would be fun. Is it Vogelsang Pass that is tricky/risky or Vogelsang Peak? Thanks for all of the hiking tips.
I'm not much of a climber, so to me the peak would be tricky/risky. The pass is no problem.
February 03, 2018 03:14PM
Oh, and make sure you acclimate before you start your hike to Vogelsang. Everybody is different but I've been in the "dining room" at Vogelsang on more than one occasion and have seen people get up and leave because they were nauseated from altitude sickness. We try to spend a couple of days in Tuolumne Meadows before going to Vogelsang. Used to be, if you had Vogelsang reservations, they would let you get reservations for a tent cabin at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge. Call and ask if you haven't already.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login