Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: YVL Base Camp Eatery unveiled

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

YVL Base Camp Eatery unveiled
March 16, 2018 03:09PM
Re: YFL Base Camp Eatery unveiled
March 18, 2018 02:31PM
Had dinner there on Friday and breakfast on Saturday. Ordered on the new kiosk which seemed to work out well. Had the Salmon for dinner on Friday w/2 sides and it was $12.00. Same thing in the Mountain Room was $27.00. On Saturday had a Veggie Omelet which was really good but seemed a little over-priced at $14.00. The seating was a little different but looks to hold about the same amount of people? It has a much cleaner/open look compared to the old cafeteria which was really dated. New bathroom doors but the same old bathrooms.(Hint: Use the Mountain Room bathrooms). Wonder what others think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2018 08:26AM by ERICG.
avatar Re: YFL Base Camp Eatery unveiled
March 19, 2018 09:18AM
I preferred the old look, or better yet, a more rustic outdoorsy-theme synonymous with a National Park. Along with the kiosks, it now has the appearance of the entrance and check-in counter at an airport. thumbs down sad smiley
Re: YFL Base Camp Eatery unveiled
March 19, 2018 04:21PM
PineCone
I preferred the old look, or better yet, a more rustic outdoorsy-theme synonymous with a National Park. Along with the kiosks, it now has the appearance of the entrance and check-in counter at an airport. thumbs down sad smiley

Those of us that have been visiting Yosemite for a good part of our lives would agree an outdoorsy-theme would fit in better with a National Park. The good news is all you need to do is walk out the doors and your back in the wonderful place that Yosemite is. It might look like an airport with the kiosks but at least you can put in your order in instead of being ignored by one of the employees behind the counter. If you look at the majority of the visitors to the valley area, most aren't outdoorsy people. They just wanted to take a couple of photos, get something to eat and hop back onto their bus. I'm sure we'll all get used to the "new" cafeteria just in time for it to change again. smiling smiley
March 19, 2018 03:23PM
More pix of the Starbucks, which looks adjacent to the main dining space. Also unique is the low-key corporate identity, likely as a compromise for the critics.
https://news.starbucks.com/news/starbucks-leed-certified-store-in-yosemite
March 20, 2018 08:39AM
The responsibilities under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act may have required them to choose a design that's in keeping with the Mid-Century architecture of the lodge. I'm not sure if the food court would be an exempted activity under the NPS Nationwide PA. Possibly, since it's an interior renovation, but maybe not since it's a significant building.
March 21, 2018 07:12PM
crocodile235
The responsibilities under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act may have required them to choose a design that's in keeping with the Mid-Century architecture of the lodge. I'm not sure if the food court would be an exempted activity under the NPS Nationwide PA. Possibly, since it's an interior renovation, but maybe not since it's a significant building.
Can't agree that they followed the Section 106 rules in the new food court since the new look is not indicative of Mid-Century architecture but more of the urban modern look that you now see in lots of hotels that have been recently remodeled. It is a similar look to what they now have in Degnan's and the bar and the Ahwahnee. which do not reflect the architecture of Degnan's and the Ahwahnee. A good example of a park doing a remodel that goes back to the original is the cafeteria and dining room at Yellowstone's Canyon Lodge where they looked at pictures of the original Mid-Century décor and duplicated it as close as possible.
March 28, 2018 08:35AM
Interesting, I couldn't tell that from the pictures. I'm bummed to hear that it looks like a mall or new hotel. sad smiley I'll check it out when I'm back there in June.
March 20, 2018 09:32AM
Wow...there will be lots of changes in the valley when we go back in May. Last visit was early May last year and the rest of the year I stayed in the high country. There is a new roundabout, I think that some campgrounds have been repaved (?,) Ma Nature rearranged some rocks and now the new cafeteria. We never used the cafeteria unless there during the winter, but will have to go peek inside.
March 29, 2018 12:03PM
I WONDER HOW MANY MORE 'CONCEPTS' BRIAN COULD FACILITATE. HOW ABOUT FACILITATING A HOT ( OR EVEN WARM) SHOWER OR WASH ON A COLD MORNING? THE PARK SHOULDN'T WANT TOO MUCH MONEY FOR THEIR CONCRETE BUNKERS. OR PERHAPS HE COULD FACILITATE A SYSTEM WHEREBY HIS HEALTHY-EATING HIKERS COULD SLOW THE F*** WHILE DRIVING IN THE VICINITY OF WILDLIFE. THERE ARE PLENTY OF 'CONCEPT FACILITATION' OPPORTUNITIES~ I FEEL SURE WE COULD ALL LIST HUNDREDS.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF A LIFE BRIAN HAS HAD, BUT IT SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN 'BASE CAMPED' IN CORPORATE B******S.
NOT EVERYONE WHO VISITS NP'S WANTS TO HIKE AND EAT HEALTHY. I, FOR ONE, LIKE TO VISIT IN THE HOPE THAT I WIIL SEE SOMEONE SCALDED IN A GEYSER, OR FALL FROM A HORSE IN DEATH VALLEY: OR, FALL FROM THE FACE OF EL CAP, SEE A LANDSLIDE TAKE OUT THE WHOLE OF C***Y VILLAGE AND BEYOND, OR, AND THIS IS MY FAVOURITE, WALK KNEE DEEP ( NOT TOTALLY TRUE, BUT WER'E GETTING THERE) IN LITTER.
AND, IF HE REALLY IS INTERESTED IN HIKERS...PERHAPS HE COULD FACILITATE SOME LEFT LUGGAGE LOCKERS FOR THOSE WHO CARRY SOMETHING BIGGER THAN A TESCO BAG.
I'M NOT HOLDING MY BREATH, THOUGH. AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU.
AND WHILE I'M AT IT...(GET YOUR BLUE PENCIL OUT) HE COULD TRY AND FACILITATE PAYING SOME CORPORATION TAX ON THE MILLIONS STARF***S MAKES IN THE UK.
...AND BREATHE... bucket of fried chicken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login