Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: SF Chronicle: Yosemite Valley Under Siege

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

SF Chronicle: Yosemite Valley Under Siege
May 03, 2018 06:31AM
May 03, 2018 07:37AM
According to that first image, there's more foot traffic by upper Yosemite Falls and Nevada falls than at Glacier Point, even though GP is accessible by car. Seems to me something's wrong with the methodology by which that image was made. Perhaps one of the problems is that the data was collected only from hikers and runners. Those two trails are undoubtedly the two most popular out of the valley, but no way does UYF get more visitors in a day than GP.
May 03, 2018 09:08AM
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
According to that first image, there's more foot traffic by upper Yosemite Falls and Nevada falls than at Glacier Point, even though GP is accessible by car. Seems to me something's wrong with the methodology by which that image was made.

It's possible that Yosemite Falls/the Mist Trail get more traffic annually than the GP area trails, since the latter is closed several months per year. I also suspect that a lot of the people who drive to GP and just walk to the overlook and back aren't Strava users.
May 03, 2018 10:18AM
Exactly.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
May 03, 2018 10:24AM
basilbop
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
According to that first image, there's more foot traffic by upper Yosemite Falls and Nevada falls than at Glacier Point, even though GP is accessible by car. Seems to me something's wrong with the methodology by which that image was made.

It's possible that Yosemite Falls/the Mist Trail get more traffic annually than the GP area trails, since the latter is closed several months per year. I also suspect that a lot of the people who drive to GP and just walk to the overlook and back aren't Strava users.

Ah, you've pointed to a second methodological issue: the time frame. I agree that the closure of GPR could result in fewer visitors overall annually than the Mist/JMT up to Nevada falls, but it's hard to know. GP gets an awful lot of visitors every day when the road is open. As for GP visitors not being Strava users, and thus GP not being lit up in the image - that's what I was alluding to in my comment.

Bottom line is that the image is deceptive (or the way it was used by the Chronicle was deceptive), b/c it might lead one to think there's more crowding at UYF and Vernal/Nevada than at GP (or Lower YF, for that matter).

It also seems that, according to the image, there's more foot traffic on the upper part of the UYF trail than by the brink of the falls themselves, which seems kind of strange - if you're inclined to use something like Strava, and you made it that far along the trail, I assume you'd go all the way to the falls themselves. Maybe they're plotting number of heartbeats per minute rather than number of people.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login