Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Road Closed

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 15, 2018 07:54AM
North Lake...
amatuers...

Tioga Pass (old gate left open) ...
amatuers...

Saddlebag Lake...
Pro Style!

We always have impeccable timing. Someone seems to come along and
ruin it. Thanks. Appreciate it. It's pretty clear.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 15, 2018 07:56AM
O. And thanks to whomever left a dog doo doo bag right after the gate.
What is up with that? Was it left for me? Why? Why?
Sigh!

May 15, 2018 08:14AM
Mariposa Grove Closed?

No big. smiling smiley

tongue sticking out smiley

Boooooop!

There's literally one (or more) in every town.

Lone Pine
Big Pine
Independence
Bishop
Lee Vining

Bridgeport??? smiling smiley

May 15, 2018 09:20AM
Hey...youz iz on my side of the Sierra!

Ha...last year North Lake Road was closed, without the boulder and people just moved the sign and drove up. ( I walked up.) I'm sure that the road was in worse condition last year.

Unlike last year, I haven't been up to Tioga gate yet. Wuz hoping for opening while we were in the valley. Instead we went Ebbetts over to the west and Sonora back to the east. Dang bike sign was up for weeks last year, too. I walked in twice or thrice, but finally got to ride in for the first time.

BTW Saddlebag Resort is for sale

What iz up at the courthouse...got jury duty? (I had to go der to appear last year to get out of jury duty...had reservations for Yosemite and got excused.) ...Of course...to view the sequoia...
May 15, 2018 10:50AM
Guilty!

Yeah, we goes over z Sonora Pass. Really enjoy ur neck o da woodz.
Saddlebag prolly got wind of peeps moving signs... and figured... smiling smiley

hehehehe

We were thinking maybe it would open for the drive home. But it wasn't
and we weren't upset in the least.

You gotta look out fur Tumbly Weedz on The 395. One hit my car... it
had a mind of it's own... like, yo weed, like stay in ur lane... but it said, no
I'm coming at cha! and a boom! it hit the front and then window and
off to bother someone else. We ducked! tongue sticking out smiley

Had a lot of fun at Sabrina and North Lake and Glacier Canyon and
Alabama Hills and Convict Lake and Mono Lake and Lundy Canyon
but the most fun was, dang, where's the bar B que emoji?
Holy Smoke!
We been thinking of this ever since... hmm... let's see...
Oct 28 2017
It was a sad day leaving the best barbeque ever!

So.. we only ate there thrice or forths or fifths...
hmm... think it was 5 times..

Let's see...
Thur - lunch, dinner
Fri - dinner
Sat - dinner

Feed ME! Feed ME!

We also tried
Lone Pine Smokehouse - 3rd place... not close to:
Copper Top - Big Pine (good, very good) but ...
HOLY SMOKE!

YUMMMM!!!!!!!!!

O, yeah, we did hike some... drove thru Blizzard on Sat... got Hit by Tumbleweed Fri...
HUGE WINDS...
And found a bunch of Sequoia .
smiling smiley

Love THE 395!

May 15, 2018 11:13AM
Okay.. I’ve loved the Eastern Sierra for ages.. but dang. That bbq! We learned last summer not to hike out on a Tuesday.

We had just eaten there for the first time before a week long trip, couldn’t stop thinking about it, and then went there and were sorely disappointed finding it closed. Tried ribs at another place in town, disappointed. Hadn’t noticed they were closed on Tuesdays! Always made sure to exit on other days after that! Hehehe.

Pulled pork my fave. Then ribs (or tie?) Then Brisket. Have friend who loves the brisket so much, he walked out one night back to hotel when they had run out. Brisket or bust for him. Haven’t been able to get past those to try chicken or Tri-tip. Mac and cheese (required) and baked potato (optional) are the sides we love. Heck. It’s possible the Mac and cheese alone worth it.

Dang. Am I rambling about bbq?

When do we get back over there???

Note: we were apprehensive when we went back last week for the first visit. Had we built it up in our heads? Relieved at first bite. Yumm! Tastes vary, I get it. But that place works for us!
May 15, 2018 04:35PM
May 16, 2018 12:13PM
That is some really nice artwork! One of the best road closure signs I've seen lol.

Would you happen to know by any chance if the road out to Sabrina Lake is open?
May 16, 2018 01:00PM
I believe JKW and The Pink One went there last weekend.

And, despite what the locals say, it's sa-BREE-nah, not sa-BRY-nah: Wikipedia: Lake Sa-BREE-nah :-)
May 16, 2018 05:07PM
basilbop
And, despite what the locals say, it's sa-BREE-nah, not sa-BRY-nah: Wikipedia: Lake Sa-BREE-nah :-)

Indeed!
May 16, 2018 05:12PM
Nice clicks guys!! Thanks for sharing...
May 16, 2018 03:49PM
Might be "the intern" (I think that's what she said) did that one too...
They did this one at The One Forty entrance...

smiling smiley

and yes... smiling smiley

Z Pink Won
Had a lot of fun at Sabrina and North Lake and Glacier Canyon ...

It's open. smiling smiley

I think Ski Area opened that day... and we snowshooz to Dewey on the 10th (and beyond)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2018 03:51PM by chick-on.
May 16, 2018 03:50PM
Sabrinah

Follow Your Heart

(same ranger told us to do that... we try)

smiling smiley

May 16, 2018 06:17PM
Wow that is some nice sharpie artwork!

Thanks (re sabrina) didn't catch that part!

With all the praise, I may have to try this Holy Smokes. Was always curious about it but the group always wanted to go Schats

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2018 06:18PM by KevinD.
May 16, 2018 06:45PM
KevinD
Was always curious about it but the group always wanted to go Schats

We hesitated and kept going to “usual” haunts (none great) but finally tried based on Yelp reviews last year. (Take them for what they are worth, but it gave us a guideline of how to branch out.)

Sorry. Did Aaron Schat’s Roadhouse ribs. No comparison.

U want bbq, try Holy Smoke, then we talk about how it did or did not satisfy you and try to figure what fits best for u. But u gotta try it first. If u have a group, get a couple of Sampler Platters and SAMPLE.

And if u r referring to Erick Schat’s Bakkery... different category of food. Love the Russian Raisin Pecan bread they have...

Have fun hiking and noshing out there!
May 16, 2018 07:35PM
Ha...not tried Holy Smoke yet. Next door the park where I'll participate in my 31st Mule Days craft show next week.

Yes locals insist...Saw-Bry-Nah. I've been reconditioning myself to pronounce it that way...because once having lived here for 1/2 your life, you can be considered a local.
May 16, 2018 10:02PM
hikerchick395
...Yes locals insist...Saw-Bry-Nah. I've been reconditioning myself to pronounce it that way...because once having lived here for 1/2 your life, you can be considered a local.

Well we visited Humphreys Basin last Labor Day (note: it was spectacular - I really love the east side too). Clearly the locals want to say "Sa-bry-nah". I figured I was in the wrong, and have been trying to make that my new habit.

Houston is a great example (Sam, the city in Texas, the road in Manhattan): doesn't it work out that however the locals decide it's pronounced is the "right" way? smiling smiley
May 21, 2018 03:49PM
Yo k.

Is it The 395?

smiling smiley

May 21, 2018 04:30PM
chick-on
Is it The 395?
smiling smiley

I'm a transplant. Still getting used to that bit... :-)
May 21, 2018 04:06PM
Sigh...

Friday... noon... 1 hour wait...
crying

May 22, 2018 09:48AM
chick-on...is that wait to go up Glacier Point Road? I did see some crazy parking photos from that area lately.

We were at Glacier Point May 9 and parked OK there and at Washburn, but people were parking all over the place, like usual, near the Sentinel TH.
May 22, 2018 09:58AM
There are chairlifts in the picture so it is apparently the entrance to the parking lot at Badger Pass.
May 22, 2018 11:18AM
Yep...

Crazy.

And once got let to go... Sentinel/Taft was usual ... nuts... with one person parking with 1/4 of car in the road...
Washburn and GP parking ... there was plenty... so I don't think they were doing a perfect job of letting people thru...
by the time I finally got to go.. the line was WAY WAY WAY backed up... like to where you would park for
wilderness trips.

I didn't think it'd be like that... if so I would have gone up immediately in the morning... o well.. such is life.
It was another nice backpacking trip though with self-reg at Wawona.

This weekend... no more self reg until fall.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

May 22, 2018 11:20AM
O... they got smart and finally put some big boulders along the final two switchers to GP Parking.
So much nicer now! So I'll take the hit and wait a bit. They need to do the same at Taft.
It's a bit out of control.

May 22, 2018 12:02PM
Hike out to Taft a couple of weekends ago. The parking area was full pretty early in the morning. When we got back to the car there were cars parked all over the place. On the road, in the forrest, and on top of a couple of boulders! It's just crazy where people will decide to create a parking spot. confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2018 12:03PM by ERICG.
May 23, 2018 08:25PM
I heard that they are thinking of trying a reservation system for parking at Glacier Point.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login