All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Hiker falls from cables on Half Dome sad smiley
May 22, 2018 04:40PM
Re: Hiker falls from cables on Half Dome sad smiley
May 22, 2018 05:38PM
My thoughts and prayers are with the victim and the family.

I'm sure that info will come out, but was there thunder and lightning in the area? If there was rain, he should not have been up there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2018 06:14PM by snorkus.
May 22, 2018 07:53PM
Quote from article:

“The male hiker was on the Half Dome cables hiking with another person during thunder storm activity. ”

IMO, they should not have been on the cables. I’ve turned around several times approaching Whitney when the t-storms started up. And that took a heck of a lot more effort to get that far (trail crest-ish usually). Figured better safe than sorry. Always want to come back for another great day.

I’ve had my feet slip on HD when on the cables on a dry day! Looks like it might rain? Pass.

I can’t say any more right now.
May 22, 2018 08:31PM
This is so sad, my condolences.

As an aside, the weather forecast was for t-storms for past week or so around Tioga pass and even at Hetch Hetchy. Saw dark clouds rolling in several times at Hetch Hetchy last Saturday and could hear distant thunder a few times after 2pm.
avatar Re: Hiker falls from cables on Half Dome sad smiley
May 22, 2018 08:55PM
If you want to see what it was like on that day...

Sentinel Dome Cam is available
halfdome.net

It doesn't look good.

sad smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 23, 2018 08:21PM
So sorry to hear that happened. You have to wonder how many people push their luck because of the lottery and they don't want to miss their chance to get to the top.
May 23, 2018 08:27PM

Here's the "view" of Half Dome from Olmsted Point that day
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login