Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Memorial Weekend

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Memorial Weekend
May 28, 2018 06:42PM
Of course it was busy. Half Dome Village was actually pretty quiet at night so for once I was able to get a little sleep. Nachos at the loft. Tried the Pulled Pork sandwich at the cafeteria which was just ok. The Mist Trail was completely empty! (No it wasn't. I think everyone that was in the valley was on the Mist Trail).

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2018 06:57PM by ERICG.
May 29, 2018 03:14PM
very nice picture, those are fun to do especially in Yosemite. Good job not including any of the mass of people that were on the trail in your photo
May 30, 2018 06:57AM
Awesome! Tanks fur Sharon

(we saw 4 people total on our Memorial Day trip)
smiling smiley

Some didn't see any (they didn't do dayhike from camp)

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 30, 2018 04:22PM
No. Old Dude and I did stay in camp and had a lovely day, thank you!! And I was ever so happy not to see anyone for all six days!
Dancing GIrl
June 06, 2018 08:34PM
Great Picture. We went down to the valley from Yosemite West on Memorial Day Saturday around 8:30 am and there still was a lot of parking and not that many people. At 12:15 we left Degnan's after getting sandwiches and it was so crowded that we decided to take our sandwiches and eat somewhere else but all picnic areas and pull off were full so we went back to Yosemite West. It took us over an hour to get back to Yosemite West because of having to wait just past Fern Spring to make the turn to the 41 and it was slow until we got past Tunnel View. By then the line of cars going into the valley were stopped a few miles west of the tunnel and we figured that the line by that time might have gone all the way to Curry. Decided to spend the rest of the weekend hanging out with people we know in Yosemite West and not have to deal with traffic. There was a Tesla stopped in the long line of traffic and we wondered if it had run out of electricity before it made it to the valley.
June 07, 2018 05:53AM
parklover
There was a Tesla stopped in the long line of traffic and we wondered if it had run out of electricity before it made it to the valley.
According to my understanding, electric cars don't use battery power just sitting in line. They only use it while moving. And most electric cars use regenerative braking where the electric motors work in reverse to slow the car and charge the battery. That way you rarely use the brakes and the battery is somewhat recharged. So if they were going downhill.....
Having said that, is there a charging station in the valley?
June 07, 2018 08:30AM
The Other Tom

Yes, at the Ahwahnee Grand Majestic Superlative Big Trees Yosemite Hotel and in Yosemite Village.
June 12, 2018 09:34AM
"the Ahwahnee Grand Majestic Superlative Big Trees Yosemite Hotel" Rolling on floor laugh
June 09, 2018 02:08PM
The Other Tom
parklover
There was a Tesla stopped in the long line of traffic and we wondered if it had run out of electricity before it made it to the valley.
According to my understanding, electric cars don't use battery power just sitting in line. They only use it while moving. And most electric cars use regenerative braking where the electric motors work in reverse to slow the car and charge the battery. That way you rarely use the brakes and the battery is somewhat recharged. So if they were going downhill.....
That makes sense but I wonder what the energy drain would be caused by not being completely stopped and just creeping along. Our Mini Copper, which is gas, has a green mode where the engine turns off every time you completely stop so you save gas. However, it can drive you nuts if you are in stop and go traffic for long periods of time so there have been times we put it back in the regular mode.
June 10, 2018 07:51AM
One more from Memorial Day Weekend.

June 10, 2018 01:00PM
Stunning photos! Amazing ! Also I love how you were able to exclude the crowds. Thanks for sharing!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login