All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trailwork planned on South Fork of Merced River-in SNF
May 31, 2018 08:11AM
Curious about the trail between Wawona Road and Hwy 140, which parallels the South Fork of the Merced River? We'll, don't let a line on a map fool you into thinking it actually exists. In a way it does, and in more ways it doesn't. While it's possible to follow (I've backpacked it twice), there are no bridges or cables over the South Fork, many trail segments are simply lost to time and nature, and a lot of those that remain are covered with logs or look like an animal trail. ...and then the poison oak, ticks and heat.... In collaboration with the Sierra NF and the Upper Merced River Watershed Council, I'm spearheading an effort to maintain that trail segment. Several "trail stewardship (work)" days are planned in 2018:
June 11-13
Oct. 12-17
Nov. 17-18
Dec. 15-17

Regarding the June trail work event, come for a day, come for all three! All work to be performed will be in the Sierra National Forest.
On Monday, June 11, 8:30AM, we'll rendezvous at the Alder Creek TH on the Wawona Road. We'll hike 4.5 miles down to the South Fork of the Merced River, setup camp by the river, and then explore the area between our campsite and Grapevine Camp to find and mark the location of the lost trail segments. Tuesday, we'll do more of the same, but focus on re-establishing the trail with picks and hoes. Wednesday, we'll break from trail work and have a day of leisure. Interested? Email me at explorer@sti.net

Check out a Facebook Group page I administer; it'll give you more background info. Ask to join!
"South Fork Merced River Trailblazers"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login