Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Hiking to Vogelsang

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hiking to Vogelsang
July 11, 2018 04:08PM
Hi,
I was wondering what the best trail is for hiking up to and down from Volgelsang HSC. I will have kids with me so I'm thinking the least steep way up is best but not necessarily. It looks to me like the Rafferty creek route is best on the way up and Lyell Canyon is the best way down? Also, has anyone been up there lately as I'm wondering if there will be enough water in the rivers to filter water along the way through mid-August. How are the mosquitos up there?
Thanks!
Amanda
July 11, 2018 05:14PM
I think Rafferty is better for the way up. The climb is fairly steady so more gradual than Lyell. Lyell is pretty flat until you get to the Ireland Creek trail, then you gain almost all the altitude in a shorter distance so it's steeper, and that climb is forested so no views to keep your mind off the grind, plus from that direction you have to climb a bit higher than Vogelsang before you drop down to the Evelyn basin on the way to Vog so more overall climbing.

- Billy Joel
July 11, 2018 06:30PM
Great! It sounds like Rafferty might be best for the way down as well. Thanks!
July 12, 2018 06:28AM
I agree with JRinGeorgia. Rafferty creek is the easiest way up, and down, assuming you're coming from Tuolumne Meadows. There's a short section of switchbacks after you turn off the JMT. Don't let that discourage you. It won't last long smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 06:30AM by The Other Tom.
July 12, 2018 02:55PM
Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login