Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Ten Lakes smokie?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Ten Lakes smokie?
July 26, 2018 07:57PM
Just wondering if anyone has been near ten lakes and can give a report on the air quality or wind direction there. My permit is for Aug 6 so I'm hoping it will be better then.
I've never been there so I'm not sure what to expect in the basin.
Re: Ten Lakes smokie?
July 28, 2018 12:14PM
I am coming from the Midwest so I may have to cancel the trip to ten lakes and go somewhere else. I was hoping to get some input from anyone who may have been in ten lakes area recently?
I cancelled my canvas tent reservation at white wolf today. They are too expense and it had to be cancelled today to get a refund. If the smoke clears we will just use the backpackers camp at WW and if not we're off to adventures somewhere smoke free. Backpacker Still looking for comments on the smoke near ten lakes if anyone has been in the area.
My second trip to Red peak pass Aug 12 looks pretty unlikely sad smiley
July 28, 2018 05:04PM
It completely depends on the wind, but it's a fair bet that all of the park is impacted by the smoke. We're over in Sonora today, and it is mildly smoky here--but the webcam from Tuolumne Meadows clearly shows smoke affecting the views. Ten Lakes is closer to the fire than either of those spots...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
July 28, 2018 05:50PM
Looks bad on the webcam in Lee Vining today. That wouldn't give me much hope for Ten Lakes.
July 29, 2018 07:44AM
Thank you for the replies. I have been planning the trip for a long time so it's hard to just let it go. I was kinda in denial but based on the comments I think a plan B is in order.
It's a week before my hike in date so I've got some time to hope and develope a new plan. Thanks again.
July 30, 2018 09:56AM
FWIW: based on the current TM Summer Only Webcam, things don't look so bad at the moment. May not be quite as nice @ Ten Lakes though.
July 30, 2018 01:59PM
The last few times we've been through the Yosemite Creek/Ten Lakes trailhead area on Tioga Road during the afternoon/evening, the smoke has been thick enough that visibility was maybe 1-2 miles. Unfortunately, Yosemite Creek is a "direct shot" from the Merced River canyon where the fire is still active. I would expect smoke in the Ten Lakes area until the burning near El Portal and north of 140 is reduced. Based on the operations maps, there's still a lot of unburnt land between the fire's active area and the containment lines north of 140.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login