Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Stufts

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Stufts
September 24, 2018 04:47PM
Old fossil has a question about the Old Gentry Station. He's wondering if there's any evidence, remnants of the old building.

When are you going back to Florence, bawk bawk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2018 04:50PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
Re: Stufts
September 24, 2018 07:38PM
I've seen slightly conflicting reports and maps as to the exact location of Gentry's but I've been up and down almost every stretch of the OBOFR in the Park and certainly the stretch between TF CG and Rainbow View which would have included all the Gentry's locations I've seen referenced (not in that area but, FWIW, it's still a bit of a puzzle to me exactly where the old road went immediately east of the current TG parking area...possibly the current Tioga Road overlays it) and have not seen obvious signs of Gentry's. There IS a significant clearing where (I think) the old checking station was but I'm not certain that that's the same location as the original Gentry's. Was only in that area once and didn't poke around in earnest so there may be some stuff hidden in there.

Apologies if that's not very helpful...I'm sure that chick-on, eeek and some of the other old-road junkies have been through there more often than I so I'll leave it to them to chime in.
September 25, 2018 06:48AM
I've found the Benchmark (ok, I didn't find it... basilbop sez … "hey blind bird.. it's right there!" )
We poked around in that area a bit and I don't recall finding anything much really.
There is a marker and blister rust sign at the Yosemite Grant border also in that general area.
But that's about it.

They must have cleaned up the area... unlike a bunch of the old rails … which I find
much more interesting... like a couple of inclines w/I the parks borders...

Ft. Monroe is another story...

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 25, 2018 06:55AM
Ohnivy-Drak

Maybe Florence Lake next week … maybe … to boat … but I needz to get to Electra and Rodgers … those much higher pri

smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Stufts
September 25, 2018 09:37AM
chick-on
Ohnivy-Drak

Maybe Florence Lake next week … maybe … to boat … but I needz to get to Electra and Rodgers … those much higher pri

smiling smiley

You mean you haven't "stoopidly" extreme dayhiked it from Silver Lake yet? Why is it that all of you crazy types have names associated with a Bird, or Burd, stufts like that. Ofc, everyone knows true power lies with those with wings and scales!! And we scorch and pluck feathers!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2018 09:42AM by Ohnivy-Drak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login