Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Just saw this about Taft Point.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Just saw this about Taft Point.
October 25, 2018 12:29PM
October 25, 2018 04:19PM
Wonder how many people witnessed the fall. Someone must have in order to report it. Chances are one person slipped to precarious spot, the second tried to rescue. Sad. Why do people feel the need to get so close to the edge?
October 26, 2018 07:45PM
Ohnivy-Drak
Wonder how many people witnessed the fall. Someone must have in order to report it.

The article says that they "...appeared to have fallen from Taft Point..." That sounds more like the discovery of the bodies was reported rather than the fall itself being witnessed.

It's got to be traumatic for anybody witnessing such a fall or finding the bodies after the fall. A few years ago, we arrived in the park for a week-long visit and, after checking into our condo in Yosemite West, we headed out for a late afternoon view from Glacier Point. We were surprised (and a bit alarmed because we knew what it probably meant) to hear a helicopter as we left our car and started heading out to the point. Turns out that very shortly before we got there, somebody had gone over the edge while trying to retrieve a dropped camera. We saw neither the fall nor the body but were pretty shaken by even that encounter.

My wife (and, to a lesser extent, I) have a minor addiction to books like "Death in Yosemite..." not because of any kind of morbid fascination or "gaper" mentality but because it underscores that although some people take a sort of Disneyland (or maybe it's a young-people's-belief-that-nothing-can-happen-to-THEM) understanding of just how dangerous these beautiful places can be, even the most experienced people can make seemingly trivial choices that lead to disaster (I'm reminded of one particular story of some off-duty seasonal rangers who went camping somewhere in the southern part of the park (can't recall where exactly). One of the guys got up to pee in the middle of the night, went a few steps too many off trail, lost his way and was not seen again until his body was discovered several weeks later just a couple of hundred steps from where they'd camped). These stories are powerful reminders to me not only to be extra-careful whenever I feel the slightest instinctual red flag go up but also to remember that, in general, you can never be too careful when you're out in the wilderness (hell, GP is technically not even designated "wilderness" but, in some respects, the warnings go double for places like GP...if for no other reason that the Disneyland/immortality mentality is likely to be all-the-more-prevalent in these areas that are so easily accessible while still being potentially lethal).

Whether you only get out into these environments once a year or are fortunate to be out there every weekend, be careful, my friends...there's a fine line between confronting your fears and taking ill-advised chances!

Deep condolences to the friends and relatives of whoever the Taft Point fatalities are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2018 07:48PM by DavidK42.
October 26, 2018 09:11PM
I remember reading about that camera incident at GP. Not sure if I read it in the Death book, or an article in a newspaper. GP can really be a zoo. There will always be individuals wandering off towards the Overhanging Rock. Rangers can only do so much. I've seen them shaking their heads as they walk towards tourists to warn them or get them to come back.
October 28, 2018 11:16AM
Who knows how airy it is from this spot. This doesn't seem like a good idea, but to each his own. Personal choice.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/y6gzoXF3cdo/hqdefault.jpg
October 29, 2018 09:30PM
What a sad, tragic irony; they were just identified.

https://abc7news.com/couple-killed-in-fall-at-yosemites-taft-point-identified/4577200/

This is what she had written on one of the frames of her travel blog Instagram profile which was called, "Holidays and happily ever-afters."

"Warning: standing on the edge of a cliff/high-rise buildings, etc., can be fatal and cause serious injuries. Make your choice wisely and your life is not worth a photo. My two cents."

Ugh.

Woof.

Gary Crabbe
Enlightened Images

"Nearness to Nature keeps the Spirit sensitive to impressions not commonly felt, and in touch with unseen powers." - Oyihesa; Santee Dakota indian, from his book, Soul of the Indian (1911)
October 30, 2018 07:39PM
Apparently it was a selfie thing. They were good natured, well traveled. Liked to take photos of dramatic scenery at sunset. That's probably what they were doing. It was getting dark, and at least one of them lost their bearings or balance. Took the other person with them. A tripod was discovered the following morning by hikers. Just too bad. sad smiley
October 25, 2018 05:39PM
Let’s hope it wasn’t another selfie fail.
October 26, 2018 09:02PM
phantum
Let’s hope it wasn’t another selfie fail.

Or maybe the ground gave way. It's happened to a few unlucky souls at Point Reyes and Yellowstone.
avatar Two Visitors Fall from Taft Point in Yosemite National Park
October 26, 2018 11:33AM
A male and female visitor died in an apparent fall from Taft Point in Yosemite National Park. Yosemite National Park Rangers are recovering the bodies this morning. This incident is under investigation and no further details are available. No photos or videos are available. The identification of the deceased has not yet been determined.
avatar Recovery Operation Completed for Two Visitors who Fell from Taft Point in Yosemite National Park
October 26, 2018 09:26PM
The recovery operation for a male and female visitor who died in an apparent fall from Taft Point in Yosemite National Park was completed on the afternoon of Thursday, October 25, 2018. The two people fell approximately 800 feet below Taft Point in an area with very steep terrain. This recovery operation involved Park Rangers using technical climbing and rappelling techniques, in addition to helicopter support from the California Highway Patrol for a short-haul operation.

This incident is under investigation and no further details are expected to be available for at least several days. No photos or videos are available. The identification of the deceased has not yet been determined.

Yosemite National Park extends its gratitude to the California Highway Patrol for their critical assistance in this recovery operation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login