Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite Bear Facts - November 18-27th, 2018

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite Bear Facts - November 18-27th, 2018
December 03, 2018 10:14AM
2018 Total Bear Incidents: 22
2018 Total Property Damage: $1,935

Compared to this same week 2017 (the lowest year on record), bear incidents in 2018 are down by 41% and damage amounts (in dollars) are down by 65%.
Compared to 1998 (when incidents in the park peaked), bear incidents and damages in 2018 are down by 99%.

Bear Activity Summary: Bears are still very active in Yosemite Valley. In about a week, there have been three reported cases of a bear obtaining garbage: from a campsite, a picnic area, and a concession facility. Bears also obtained food from food locker in a campsite, and damaged a grill in a residential area.

In fall months, bears need to eat up to 20,000 calories every day to gain weight for hibernation. Because of this, bears tend to be more bold about obtaining calories, and increasingly come into conflict with people. It is safe to assume that each day a bear will wander past your campsite, house, or your parked car. It’s each of our responsibility to keep these bears safe and wild by storing all food, trash, and scented items at all times.

Red Bear, Dead Bear: So far this year, 16 bears have been hit by vehicles along park roads. PLEASE help protect wildlife by obeying speed limits and being prepared to stop for animals on roads.

Fascinating Bear Fact: During hibernation, bears do not eat, drink, urinate or defecate. They are able to recycle the calcium usually lost through excretions back into their bones.

Please report bear incidents and sightings: Call the Save-A-Bear Hotline at +1 209 372-0322 or e-mail yose_bear_mgmt@nps.gov.
Re: Yosemite Bear Facts - November 18-27th, 2018
December 24, 2018 11:06PM
Is it true that Yosemite rangers used to relocate problem bears into Pate Valley? I can't remember where I heard that, but it always lingers in the back of my mind when I hear about Yosemite bears.
avatar Re: Yosemite Bear Facts - November 18-27th, 2018
December 25, 2018 12:07PM
As far as I know it is true.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login