Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Yosemite National Park Impacted By Recent Winter Storms

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite National Park Impacted By Recent Winter Storms
February 09, 2019 10:57AM
Multiple park facilities damaged by significant snowfall earlier this week

Multiple park facilities, housing units, and the park’s ski area have been significantly impacted by the significant snowfall the park received earlier this week. Yosemite Valley received approximately 18 to 24 inches of snow due to storms Monday through Wednesday. Yosemite’s high country saw several feet of new snow. The large snowfall amount caused several trees to topple, power outages, roads to temporarily close, damage to park campgrounds, and the temporary closure of the park’s ski area. No injuries occurred during the storm, and park personnel worked long hours to clear roads, ensure employee and visitor safety, and keep utility and other systems operating during the significant winter storms.

Approximately 50 guest cabins at Half Dome Village and 50-70 concessioner housing units were damaged or destroyed. About 150 concession employees are impacted and arrangements are being made to provide them temporary housing. All visitor services at Half Dome Village are closed while damage assessments continue and repairs begin. Upper Pines Campground is closed, as trees fell on restrooms in the campground and it is not safe for visitors. It is expected to reopen in the next several days. Yosemite Ski and Snowboard area is closed as well. Please check the park and concessioner websites for updates on openings and operating hours.

The National Park Service and the park concessioner are currently working together on damage assessments, alternative housing for employees, and repairing damage to park facilities. There is no financial estimate of damage or expected times that facilities will reopen. Visitor and employee safety remains the highest priority for the National Park Service and the park concessioner.

Temporary road closures and delays may be possible over the next several days along Big Oak Flat Road (Highway 120 West), Wawona Road (Highway 41), and El Portal Road (Highway 140) inside Yosemite National Park. An incoming winter storm system could impact roadways inside the park due to heavy precipitation and snow at higher elevations.

Yosemite National Park is open. Visitors planning trips to the park over the next several days are advised to plan for winter driving conditions. Tire chains may be required at any time depending on road conditions. All motorists driving in the park during the winter season are strongly encouraged to have tire chains in their vehicle. Temporary road closures may go into effect at any time due to road and weather conditions.

For updated 24-hour road and weather conditions for Yosemite National Park, please call +1 209 372-0200, press 1 and press 1 again. Updated information is also available on the park’s website at https://www.nps.gov/yose.
Re: Yosemite National Park Impacted By Recent Winter Storms
February 10, 2019 04:57AM
I know its early, but does anyone know if certain types of reservations in Curry Village are unlikely to be honored in March?
February 10, 2019 03:59PM
I have not heard anything yet. Who knows what it will be like in March and how many big storms will come the next few weeks. I don't think they have even fully accessed the damage from that storm and more snow is coming.
avatar Re: Yosemite National Park Impacted By Recent Winter Storms
February 10, 2019 04:21PM
parklover
I have not heard anything yet. Who knows what it will be like in March and how many big storms will come the next few weeks. I don't think they have even fully accessed the damage from that storm and more snow is coming.

And add to that the threat of another shutdown. Hard to deal with the damage if you aren't allowed to spend.
February 11, 2019 08:37AM
eeek
parklover

And add to that the threat of another shutdown. Hard to deal with the damage if you aren't allowed to spend.

Yeah... a shutdown is the last thing they need.
February 11, 2019 08:37AM
Damage mainly from fallen trees I assume? Or is the weight of the snow actually causing damage?

I'd be curious to see pictures of what's going on.
February 11, 2019 11:58AM
Nothing of the collapsed structures but there are a couple of photos showing heavy snow here:

https://www.uniondemocrat.com/localnews/6915944-151/more-than-160-aramark-employees-displaced-by-falling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2019 11:59AM by DavidK42.
February 11, 2019 08:57PM
hi Daniel

We were in the park last thur-sun

It was pretty amazing. But Yosemite always is.

The sheer amount of snow dropping on the trees in the valley caused them to fail.
Huge number of trees fell.
Unfortunately on some structures and cabins.

No lives were lost.

Tree fell on the Wilderness Center too.
You should look at YNP on facebook.

Here's one we took of Curry:

Here's Northside near Stoneman Mdw. They closed the road by Stoneman and
the road to Curry on Sunday... we had thoughts of hiking around Curry and to Happy Isles.
It turned out nicer to just play in the snow … much nicer...

[/url]

Merced looked crazy on Thur

This may give you idea of how much snow load there was in the trees:

anywho. have a good one

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 12, 2019 10:26AM
chick-on
We were in the park last thur-sun
Wow! you guys are hardcore!! Thanks a tonne for sharing!
Did you guys snowcamp in some open area? Still debating here even though I have reservations for Upper Pines for this weekend. It might be closed though.

Where was that past pic from? I have never been to Sierra Point and was hoping to go there over the weekend. Will play it by ear with current conditions now. My other option is to head to Dewey or GP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2019 10:27AM by nwhkr.
February 12, 2019 10:44AM
My guess on that last pic: Snow Creek Trail.

And I'll second the thanks for those pics of the valley in heavy snow... really cool.
February 12, 2019 01:33PM
We go almost every weekend or more...

Most of the time... even that is not enough...

It was special in the valley so tried to enjoy as much as possible.
Could have used more days with conditions like this. It's always fleeting...
It might be gone tomorrow (with rain coming)

It was special.

Be careful. Conditions are not easy. LOTS of trees block the way. and LOTS of snow.

February 12, 2019 02:51PM
Wow!! This is magical!!
Keep them coming!
You are definitely making me rethink and maybe go there this weekend. Haven't been to Yosemite in 2019 so far

Yes, saw the rain forecasted for the next two days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2019 02:52PM by nwhkr.
February 13, 2019 06:58AM
It doesn't stay flocked long...

Gonna watch the webcams today... and tomorrow... might get ugly there with the rain

Dewey

Crocker

Stanford

Taft

Taft from Jan 20...

Not nearly enough time to do everything wanted to do.

Be safe. It's crazy how much snow is falling higher too

February 13, 2019 11:59AM
Thanks so much for the great pictures, as usual, Chick-On!

That looks like a crazy amount of snow for the lower elevations.
February 12, 2019 02:53PM
Just got an email saying my curry village reservation is canceled due to the damage.
February 13, 2019 09:28AM
Thanks for the photos of Yosemite chick-on! Definitely am stuck on the eastside this year. It may get messy over in the valley in the next couple of days. At this moment, our snow is turning to rainfall at 4700'.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login