Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Flooding in Yosemite Valley?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Flooding in Yosemite Valley?
June 06, 2019 12:58AM
The stream gage at Pohono Bridge shows the water level just inches from flood stage (the red line at 10 feet) and still heading upward. It sure looks like it'll cross the line tonight, even if briefly, and probably crest even higher tomorrow night. Any idea why NPS hasn't mentioned the possibility of flooding yet?

I'm not in the area but I will be in two weeks, and I'm trying to gather information on what to expect. The last time I remember the water level being this high (May, 2017 I think), several of my usual routes weren't passable. In particular, the bike path from the Lodge to Swinging Bridge was a foot or two under water. I was told that it should have been possible to get from Northside Drive to Southside Drive by way of the Superintendent's Bridge but I didn't actually try it. Any updates on current conditions would be appreciated.
June 06, 2019 08:59AM
Saw this yesterday and this can give you somewhat of an idea for the current conditions...https://www.facebook.com/groups/1855418571395696/permalink/2331448507126031/
June 06, 2019 09:04AM
gophersnake
The stream gage at Pohono Bridge shows the water level just inches from flood stage (the red line at 10 feet) and still heading upward. It sure looks like it'll cross the line tonight, even if briefly, and probably crest even higher tomorrow night. Any idea why NPS hasn't mentioned the possibility of flooding yet?

I'm not in the area but I will be in two weeks, and I'm trying to gather information on what to expect. The last time I remember the water level being this high (May, 2017 I think), several of my usual routes weren't passable. In particular, the bike path from the Lodge to Swinging Bridge was a foot or two under water. I was told that it should have been possible to get from Northside Drive to Southside Drive by way of the Superintendent's Bridge but I didn't actually try it. Any updates on current conditions would be appreciated.

The flood level is more a hydrological level, not necessarily the level that means there is flooding. As I recall, it has to get up to around 11 ft at Pohono to start closing roads. Some of the campsites in North and Upper pines are closed, but they close them ahead of time each year in anticipation of high water so not many people are affected.

I was up at the valley yesterday. There was slight flooding by the bike path north of Swinging Bridge, maybe between a foot and half a foot. Otherwise, everything was fine. If you don’t want to get wet, Superintendent’s bridge is the way to go. I guess, the boardwalks for the Yosemite Falls views are partially flooded too, but that is a somewhat common experience and it is just a short loop. Looks like the water is slightly higher today, but then as the weather is supposed to cool down again the river will drop.

You can get a hydrological forecast for the river. I imagine it is what the park uses as well, and why you aren’t hearing anything as the forecast isn’t showing anything significant. Maybe if it suddenly gets hot, there might be something more, but we’ll have to wait and see on the weather.

Hydrological outlook
June 08, 2019 06:32PM
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/62022715_2235257996560169_2913614661515476992_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQkd3YZPseGNtHsuyxuSbaAgwRCzAmZ_ZXEWz64KvUMsGkZu5FJrbwW8f1kfdVdCuZc&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=fc83586edd8e025a23534a211e80fb34&oe=5D84EE25

Yesterday. The river was higher Thursday

edit: Thursday afternoon I rode my bike through the water from Yosemite Lodge to Swinging Bridge. It was about at my knees. But it had dropped two feet since early morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2019 06:35PM by hikerchick395.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login