Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Rafting in the Valley question

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Rafting in the Valley question
June 13, 2019 01:32PM
Hi,

Leaving tomorrow for a week in the valley. Should I even bother bringing the inflatable kayaks? Any chance the river will be raftable next week?
June 13, 2019 04:23PM
I suspect that given that there are still flood warnings in the valley due to high water, they won't allow rafting until the water level drops a good bit.

More specifically, per this page, the gage at Pohono Bridge must be below 7' at 8:00 am for rafting to be allowed. (You'll also need a PFD if the river is above 4' at 8:00am.)
June 15, 2019 06:38PM
The OP probably is already in the valley, but in case others are wondering, left the valley today. When we drove in two days ago saw many signs no water sports/activities. I think it's still not allowed.

We did have a fantastic time rafting the Merced three days ago, with experienced guides (with an outfitter), with many safety checks. They said it was class 3-4. I highly recommend it.
June 15, 2019 11:52PM
recycling1991
We did have a fantastic time rafting the Merced three days ago, with experienced guides (with an outfitter), with many safety checks. They said it was class 3-4. I highly recommend it.

I'm assuming that it was not in the valley and outside the park, starting in the El Portal area (Cedar Lodge)? Just wasn't explicitly clear in your statement
June 16, 2019 08:40AM
buster
recycling1991

I'm assuming that it was not in the valley and outside the park, starting in the El Portal area (Cedar Lodge)? Just wasn't explicitly clear in your statement

Yes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login