Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

National Forest camping

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 25, 2019 12:11PM
On the way to Yosemite (Hwy 120), does anyone know of any roads that lead to a place to camp free? (i have a fire permit)... with Yosemite Valley booked up all the time, i was curious if anyone knew of any places along the way where i might have a better chance?

thanks for any help
Re: National Forest camping
July 25, 2019 12:48PM
Yes, but the well-known ones tend to fill up regularly since, well, they are well-known--and they certainly don't need any more publicity. And, the Rim Fire has impacted many of the nicer dispersed sites--either due to downed trees, still-standing dead trees ("widow makers"winking smiley, or current logging/cleanup operations. What we ended up doing is spending an afternoon driving around the NF roads and waypointing places that looked good for camping (and no, I'm not sharing my list, which is pre-Rim Fire anyway). The reality is almost all of the NF roads have places where you can pull over and sleep in a car/van/SUV for the night. Finding a place for a large tent can be a challenge, and unfortunately these places tend to end up with a large fire ring, charcoal everywhere, and burnt cans and broken bottles right in the middle of the only place you could put a tent...

The Gaia mobile mapping app has a property boundary layer that is useful to make sure you are camping on public lands and not a private inholding.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login