Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Bumpass Hell Trail to Open September 13

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Bumpass Hell Trail to Open September 13
September 06, 2019 04:43PM

MINERAL, CA – Lassen Volcanic National Park plans to re-open the Bumpass Hell Trail September 13, following the partial completion of a multi-year trail rehabilitation project. “We look forward to welcoming hikers on the newly rehabilitated Bumpass Hell Trail,” said Superintendent Jim Richardson. “The trail improvements enhance both the hiking experience and the condition of the historic trail.”

The re-opening follows completion of improvements on the 1.5-mile trail between Bumpass Hell parking area and Bumpass Hell basin. The resulting trail is wider, smoother, and better designed to withstand erosion. The trail provides the shortest route to Bumpass Hell basin and the recently reconstructed boardwalk. Hikers will see continuing rehabilitation efforts along the trail and within the basin. This includes restoration of an alternative 0.2-mile basin access trail and overlook enhancement. The second basin trail will remain closed until construction is complete and access to overlooks may be limited.

Lassen Volcanic began the multi-year project to rehabilitate the Bumpass Hell Trail and boardwalk in 2018. The purpose of project is to ease maintenance for the Bumpass Hell Trail and boardwalk, while preserving natural and historic resources, improving interpretive opportunities, and accommodating high visitor use to and within the Bumpass Hell Basin. More information and photos about the project are available at https://go.nps.gov/BHEA.
September 07, 2019 04:16AM
With a name like that, I'm not sure I'd want to hike it smiling smiley
avatar Re: Bumpass Hell Trail to Open September 13
September 12, 2019 12:39PM
The Other Tom

It's a great hike. Unfortunately Kendall Vanhook Bumpass lost his leg when it busted through the crust and got scalded. But boardwalks make it pretty safe. It has the best collection of geothermal features in the United States outside of Yellowstone.
September 12, 2019 04:50PM
y_p_w
The Other Tom

It's a great hike. Unfortunately Kendall Vanhook Bumpass lost his leg when it busted through the crust and got scalded. But boardwalks make it pretty safe. It has the best collection of geothermal features in the United States outside of Yellowstone.
Thanks
September 07, 2019 06:55AM
One of the great names names in trail lore. And it turns out that Bumpass was a guy's name. But as kids, we loved to hike that trail---mainly because we loved saying the name out loud too our parents.

By the way, it's pronounced BUM psss, not bump ASS.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
September 08, 2019 11:10PM
Apparently they were also Ralphie's neighbors in "A Christmas Story" smiling smiley
September 12, 2019 09:07PM
We hiked that trail several years ago during a visit to Lassen. As we were going down the final fairly steep section into the Bumpass Hell basin, my wife had her foot slide out from under her and bumped her... well, you get the picture. Fortunately, the only thing wounded was her pride and we all got a good laugh out of it the rest of the day. Now, whenever we slip a bit while hiking we say, "I almost had a Bumpass moment there!". Looks like we've been mispronouncing it... but I'm not sure we'll change.

Sounds like that section of the trail is part that was improved, which was definitely needed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login