Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Ahwahnee Hotel Loses Four-Diamond Rating

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Ahwahnee Hotel Loses Four-Diamond Rating
January 08, 2020 11:26AM
avatar Re: Ahwahnee Hotel Loses Four-Diamond Rating
January 08, 2020 12:53PM
My speculation is that this reflects directly upon Aramark. Have they improved ANYTHING at Yosemite?
Re: Ahwahnee Hotel Loses Four-Diamond Rating
January 08, 2020 06:24PM
Coolburn
My speculation is that this reflects directly upon Aramark. Have they improved ANYTHING at Yosemite?
I can say that for my family it is a resounding NO!!!!!! I have been going to Yosemite for decades and have seen several concessionaire changes and Aramark has been the worst. I can also say they are the worse when you compare them to Xanterra, Forever Resorts and some other concessionaires in other national parks we have visited. We have eaten lunch at the Ahwahnee several times since they took over and the food is nothing like it used to be. We went to the Ahwahnee last week just to walk around and take our yearly picture in front of the Christmas tree in the Winter Room and the place was dirty and I don't mean dirty because it is winter. There was a horrible mold smell near the elevator by the Winter Room. Dirty glasses and dishes in almost all of the public rooms, even in the up stairs common areas. I won't even mention the condition of the bathrooms. They still have not cleaned up the brass Ahwahnee symbol that is in the main elevator from when they used electric tape to cover it up so I think that next time we go, I am going to bring some brass polish and clean it. We used to have one meal at the Mountain Room each time we go but the last few times the food was either over cooked or not done at all. Waiters had to bus tables because there was not enough workers so a few of our meals were cold by the time we got them. Now a steak is $56 so won't be going there anymore. Two years ago, I was verbally accosted by an employee at the ice skating rink because I asked about the discount you get when you have a season ski pass and even though I showed her on Aramark's Travel Yosemite website on my phone, about the discount, she said it was not their website. I told her never mind but she then followed me to the front desk at Curry, yelling at me. During the holidays, the only thing opened at Curry was the Mountain store and the small grocery store. Could not get pizza or other food because the pavilion was closed for remodeling. I felt really bad for anyone that was staying there because they had no place to eat dinner. I think that the grill was opened for a short time during the day for possible coffee and maybe pastries but it was closed when we were there. If you want pizza after a day of skiing, you have to rush to get to Degnan's before they close. Talked to some employees that we have known for years and they are really unhappy how Aramark treats them and some are thinking of leaving and some that we have known have already left. Every concessionaire has a period of time when they first take over to get things going but I am finding that Aramark only gets worse over time. Well, I guess everyone knows how I feel about Aramark. LOL
January 11, 2020 05:55AM
Parklover, your experience mirrors my December visit to a tee.
Now, for some more bad news.....
https://tinyurl.com/svyflb3

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 10:19AM by troutwild.
January 17, 2020 10:18AM
January 17, 2020 11:23AM
I've had norovirus. It's nasty.
February 08, 2020 09:40PM
troutwild
Parklover, your experience mirrors my December visit to a tee.
Now, for some more bad news.....
https://tinyurl.com/svyflb3

Guess what - both my son and I got some sort of stomach issue when we were there the first week of January and still am having some problems. Waiting for doctor to decide if we should be tested. Might be too late but then not much you can do if you have it except keep hydrated.
February 11, 2020 02:48PM
Wow. I have some friends that stayed in the Lodge over Super Bowl weekend (they said it was deserted in the park), and one of them has had a stomach issue since returning. They also made comment of how the food service quality and selection has gone way, way down.
February 18, 2020 03:35PM
Paris92
Wow. I have some friends that stayed in the Lodge over Super Bowl weekend (they said it was deserted in the park), and one of them has had a stomach issue since returning. They also made comment of how the food service quality and selection has gone way, way down.
I am still having issues off and on. We were in the park last week and the only thing I ate that was from the park was one of those bear gingerbread cookies since they are made outside of the park.
February 23, 2020 07:43PM
Although Aramark does service some Park locations, such as Lake Mead Recreation area, they mainly service Prisons and Hospitals that type of thing Not sure what sort of result anyone else was expecting, but when you hire McDonald's to run the Steakhouse, you can't expect much better then what they have done.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login