Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Campgrounds closed until at least 5/24

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Campgrounds closed until at least 5/24
April 28, 2020 12:36AM
The Yosemite National Park website and Recreation.gov. just announced that all Yosemite campgrounds will be closed through at least 5/24. The update before this one said closed until 5/1.
April 28, 2020 07:21PM
Yep, my May rezzies got cancelled
April 29, 2020 08:07AM
hikerchick395
Yep, my May rezzies got cancelled

Mine too. Lower Pines #43, 5/10 4 nights. Darn....
May 03, 2020 09:46AM
Once again, mtn man, we would've been there at the same time
May 05, 2020 05:09PM
Some year if we end up with Lower Pines reservations at the same time again we'll have to meet up some afternoon...Drinks and Hors d'oeuvres at my site!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2020 05:11PM by mtn man.
avatar Re: Campgrounds closed until at least 5/24
May 13, 2020 04:53PM
As mentioned above, here is the notification on the Lower Pines reservation page: "Yosemite campgrounds are currently closed through at least May 23. Reservations for Lower Pines arriving May 24 and beyond MAY be honored IF the park reopens by then. Between May 24 and September 30, new reservations may not be made and existing reservations cannot be modified to other dates within this period."

I had planned on going into the reservation system at 7am on the 15th of May to try to get a spot in Lower Pines for early Oct., under the hopes that the park opens again. This would be a contingency plan to our already ticketed (plane) and reserved (resort) two weeks in Puerto Vallarta for that same time period (those plans made LONG before we all heard of Covid19 and we are not sure we want to head south of the border then even if we can!.

But if I am reading the notification correctly, they aren't going to allow new reservations anyway so there is no need to get up early on the 15th, right?

Other questions; I notice that some sites are already reserved through Sept. 27. This implies that during the Apr. 15 booking window (Aug 15- Sept 14) folks were able to make two week reservations. Was the 'hold' on new reservations not in effect a month ago? And I though one could only make reservations for 7 days at a time (or is that just in the peak summer months?)

Steve
May 13, 2020 08:43PM
calberry
As mentioned above, here is the notification on the Lower Pines reservation page: "Yosemite campgrounds are currently closed through at least May 23. Reservations for Lower Pines arriving May 24 and beyond MAY be honored IF the park reopens by then. Between May 24 and September 30, new reservations may not be made and existing reservations cannot be modified to other dates within this period."

I had planned on going into the reservation system at 7am on the 15th of May to try to get a spot in Lower Pines for early Oct., under the hopes that the park opens again. This would be a contingency plan to our already ticketed (plane) and reserved (resort) two weeks in Puerto Vallarta for that same time period (those plans made LONG before we all heard of Covid19 and we are not sure we want to head south of the border then even if we can!.

But if I am reading the notification correctly, they aren't going to allow new reservations anyway so there is no need to get up early on the 15th, right?

Other questions; I notice that some sites are already reserved through Sept. 27. This implies that during the Apr. 15 booking window (Aug 15- Sept 14) folks were able to make two week reservations. Was the 'hold' on new reservations not in effect a month ago? And I though one could only make reservations for 7 days at a time (or is that just in the peak summer months?)

Steve

The hold on new reservations from May 24 to Sept. 30 was announced on 4/27. (Poorly written as it's not clear whether you can't make reservations ON those dates, or whether you can't make reservations FOR those dates) It appears they meant to say you can't make reservations FOR those dates. Camping limit after 9/15 is 30 days. So it appears on 5/15 you could try for early Oct.
May 13, 2020 09:23PM
mtn man

The hold on new reservations from May 24 to Sept. 30 was announced on 4/27. (Poorly written as it's not clear whether you can't make reservations ON those dates, or whether you can't make reservations FOR those dates) It appears they meant to say you can't make reservations FOR those dates. Camping limit after 9/15 is 30 days. So it appears on 5/15 you could try for early Oct.

Great point about the 30 days, I didn't know that.
I did make a one week reservation for TM on 4/15 and hopefully I can modify it a bit

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2020 09:25PM by nwhkr.
May 13, 2020 10:03PM
Thanks mtn man, I will give it a try ;-)
May 14, 2020 11:44AM
You can sleep in. New message just posted on the camping reservation pages:
"Due to the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19, Yosemite will not be releasing any camping reservations on May 15. This on-sale date would normally open up arrivals between September 15 and October 14."
May 14, 2020 11:57AM
Just saw this new notice too. Looks like NPS intends to shut down camping the entire summer/fall (I'm only guessing here).

Zion, Arches, etc opened only trails this week - no camping for the time being.
May 14, 2020 03:30PM
Yup, I got the email update, bummer:

May 14, 2020

Hello campers,

Due to the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19, Yosemite will not be releasing any camping reservations on May 15.
This on-sale date would normally open up arrivals between September 15 and October 14.
Additional emails will be sent as conditions change.

Thank you for your continued patience as we work to ensure a safe experience for all park visitors.

Sincerely,

Eric Bissmeyer
Campground Manager
Yosemite National Park
May 14, 2020 04:55PM
Same. So either they are bracing up for the fall season or this whole season will be a wash, aka park or campgrounds closed through the summer. sad smiley
Safety first!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2020 04:55PM by nwhkr.
May 14, 2020 05:18PM
calberry

May 14, 2020

Hello campers,

Due to the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19, Yosemite will not be releasing any camping reservations on May 15.
This on-sale date would normally open up arrivals between September 15 and October 14.

Thank you for your continued patience as we work to ensure a safe experience for all park visitors.

Sincerely,

Eric Bissmeyer
Campground Manager
Yosemite National Park

I'm signed up for emails from Yosemite camping but nothing came through today. Please let me know how you are signed up for messages like this. Thanks

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2020 05:22PM by mtn man.
May 14, 2020 05:24PM
Tom, I get my notifications, including this one, from here:

https://tinyurl.com/ybhnoku3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2020 05:25PM by troutwild.
May 14, 2020 05:40PM
troutwild
Tom, I get my notifications, including this one, from here:

https://tinyurl.com/ybhnoku3

Thanks, I finally found it in my junk mail...
May 14, 2020 05:39PM
mtn man
calberry

May 14, 2020

Hello campers,

Never mind, I found it in my junk mail.

Sincerely,

Eric Bissmeyer
Campground Manager
Yosemite National Park

I'm signed up for emails from Yosemite camping but nothing came through today. Please let me know how you are signed up for messages like this. Thanks

Tom
May 14, 2020 06:44PM
Tom, I'm sorry but I cannot remember where/when/how I signed up for the campground notification emails. I would recommend calling the campground office in the Valley (if they are open) to see if they can provide some advice: (209) 372-8502

Steve
May 14, 2020 07:02PM
calberry
Tom, I'm sorry but I cannot remember where/when/how I signed up for the campground notification emails. I would recommend calling the campground office in the Valley (if they are open) to see if they can provide some advice: (209) 372-8502

Steve

Thanks, actually I did get it, but it came into my junk mail folder.
May 15, 2020 11:07AM
Thanks for the updates everyone. I agree, safety first, and it does sort of sound like there won't be camping at all this year. But I'm also wondering if they may eventually open up some of the campgrounds at partial capacity on a first-come, first-served basis. That's probably wishful thinking. I noticed that other parks that have opened are not offering camping or backpacking. So I'm bracing myself for my backcountry permit in Yosemite to be cancelled too. But it is odd that Curry Village is planned for 50% occupancy at some point, and those people have to share bathrooms too, as in a campground.
May 15, 2020 12:40PM
crocodile235
Thanks for the updates everyone. I agree, safety first, and it does sort of sound like there won't be camping at all this year. But I'm also wondering if they may eventually open up some of the campgrounds at partial capacity on a first-come, first-served basis. That's probably wishful thinking. I noticed that other parks that have opened are not offering camping or backpacking. So I'm bracing myself for my backcountry permit in Yosemite to be cancelled too. But it is odd that Curry Village is planned for 50% occupancy at some point, and those people have to share bathrooms too, as in a campground.

Agreed - the Curry Village 50% plan seems odd. Bathrooms AND food service needed since there are no real cooking options available. But Housekeeping is shut down, which could have very easily moved to the same 50% occupancy or 1 family per building? Grand Canyon opened today and again, no camping allowed.
May 15, 2020 01:06PM
Yeah, good point, the Curry folks can't even boil water for their coffee in the morning!
May 15, 2020 01:17PM
Oddly, Housekeeping is accepting reservations from late August thru season closing, October 11th.
May 16, 2020 01:49AM
I think it has something to do with their contingency plans for what happens if staffing gets quarantined. They are cutting services so they don't have to bring in additional workers.

A lot of the decisions don't make sense in the context of preventing spread of virus but they do when $$$ is considered. If you are in charge of managing Yosemite and you have to assume additional staff for every service, you may be inclined to cut the services with the least revenue per staff member.

The Inyo closures are similar. It costs a lot of money to operate SAR and they get zero revenue. You can't convince me that SAR is at any greater risk of contracting the virus compared to police, fire, and emt. The police are still writing speeding tickets but the Inyo sheriff doesn't want people hiking! One activity generates revenue directly and the other doesn't.
May 17, 2020 06:14PM
chulavista
A lot of the decisions don't make sense in the context of preventing spread of virus but they do when $$$ is considered. If you are in charge of managing Yosemite and you have to assume additional staff for every service, you may be inclined to cut the services with the least revenue per staff member.

Ya, this is as good a guess as any really. Curry Village at $80+/night is likely a very good return after expenses. Camping at only $26/night less so.

Although I hope/think/believe that NPS is truly considering public health and safety before the almighty $$$. Otherwise they would charge a $70 park entry fee like they considered last year!
May 18, 2020 04:28AM
Everyone has a budget, including you and me. I'm ok with paying a little more understanding that it is challenging to operate in this environment and the money usually goes to a good cause.
May 17, 2020 08:21PM
crocodile235
They will most likely only open the cabins and Stoneman building that have their own bathrooms. The food pavilion at Curry is currently being remodeled and they have not given a completion date yet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login