Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Yosemite Park to POSSIBLY re-open first week of June

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite Park to POSSIBLY re-open first week of June
May 19, 2020 01:40PM
Just saw this on a reddit thread and figured I would share with my favorite forum. This was posted yesterday (link here) from an account called YoseInsider. It might be total nonsense, but a lot of the information seems to be consistent with what I'm seeing elsewhere.

From a conference call at 9am this morning with the Superintendent of Yosemite... Let me emphasize, ALL OF THIS CAN CHANGE AT ANY TIME. This is merely a representation of the call this morning and it was to invitees only and has not even been presented to local communities or some government offices yet.

- Hope to announce at end of this week (5/18 - 5/22) actual plans, so everything below can CHANGE.

- The plan right now is to reopen first week of June (don't know exact date). THIS CAN CHANGE!

- Goal to control capacity to 50% of 2019 average day through day use passes.

- 2000 cars/day allowed for people staying in the park.

- 1700 cars allowed for day use.

- Average day last year was ~6400 cars/day to Yosemite Valley, and ~7500 for the whole park.

- Passes will be available online to reserve from 2-30 days out. At the beginning of this program you MUST go online to reserve a pass. You can NOT just drive to the gate and get into the park. There is an expectation that things will change and adapt and you MAY be able to get a day of pass.

- The NPS will not be acting as the Social Distance police. It will be incumbent upons people to be responsible for themselves. At your own risk.

- Tioga pass reopening is still weeks away, possibly mid June.

- Valley shuttle will not be operating. Bikes are encouraged.

- YARTS (Yosemite Area Regional Transportation) will be running from local communities.

- 60 sites at Lower Pines will open

- 81 sites at Upper Pines will open (edit: I should have said North Pines. It looks like Upper Pines won't open in this first round of openings)

- Backpackers campgrounds will open.

- At this time other campgrounds will NOT open.

- There will probably be limitations on popular areas like Tunnel View, one way trails, etc...

I'll update as I learn more....

They also linked to this photo later on in the thread, detailing plans for overnight accommodations.

Lots of interesting stuff here: I'd bet that the reservation system for park entry is going to a technical disaster and much worse than the campsite lottery; I don't understand the decision to open up Upper Pines after North/Lower Pines; and it sounds like Camp 4 isn't going to open at all.
Re: Yosemite Park to POSSIBLY re-open first week of June
May 19, 2020 01:43PM
Thank you for the crosspost!! Much appreciated.
avatar Re: Yosemite Park to POSSIBLY re-open first week of June
May 20, 2020 01:21PM
Not sure if anyone beyond Corntortilla cares, but since I posted the first message here, I may as well post the update:

So today's update, which comes from information from another meeting...

- I cannot emphasize enough that my previous post and this one are merely reports of TENTATIVE PLANS.

- Half Dome cables go up June 5th

- Campground listed in my first post seem to be the only ones planned for the initial opening phase. No word on when other campgrounds may open.

- YARTS (and NOT the in-Valley shuttle) will be operational. No word on any expanded schedules.

- Backcountry permits and camping will be allowed, however it is likely it will be through the online reservation system only and you PROBABLY won't be able to get a walk-up, day of permit.

- There is a possibility that actual locals (they did not define the exact definition of a local, but gateway communities probably) may be able to day-use the park without reservations. No guarantee!! Edit: This is in no way meant to say non-locales will be excluded. Only meant to convey that possibly locals will not be part of the day use quota system.

- Still seems likely they will allow someone to transit the park (simply drive through without out stopping) but there is concern as to how they do this without abuse.

Still absolutely no real clue as to how the entry reservations will work between people who are staying in the park (hotels, campgrounds, backcountry) versus the day use. There is talk of possibly QR codes that will be issued to overnight folks, so it seems possible (and contrary to my guessing in the previous post) that whatever method you use to make an overnight reservation will include your entry pass to the park. Again, you will still need to pay your regular entrance fees or show a parks pass to have those fees waived. So it's possible (likely?) that the only folks who need to make an online entry reservation will be the Day Use folks. We shall see....

Will update again if I learn more...

Edit... First couple comments interpreted this post as meaning non-locals would be excluded from day use. This is ABSOLUTELY not the message I am trying to convey and to be frank, no way in hell that is what would happen.

Edit2: Article posted this morning (wednesday 5/20)...

https://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/1064442/yosemite-considering-june-partial-reopening.html
May 20, 2020 02:42PM
I CARE! Thanks for the update, I have multiple contingent plans in Yosemite this summer: High Sierra camps, Backpacking, Yosemite West Cabin, group campout. All info is helpful.
May 20, 2020 02:58PM
Ditto on Care! Thanks
May 21, 2020 06:54AM
Coolburn
I CARE! Thanks for the update, I have multiple contingent plans in Yosemite this summer: ...Yosemite West Cabin...

I wonder how they'll classify Yose West...technically, it's not in the Park (even though it's only accessible through the Park) so does that count towards the "staying in the Park" or the "day use" counts?

We normally split our stays between Yose West and TM Lodge. This year, I managed to get 5 consecutive nights in White Wolf (but not in TM) so, if I DO go, it'll be the first trip I've ever made to Yosemite where I stay ONLY in the high country. That allows me to skirt the day-use vs. "in-the-park" issue but this is clearly going to be a last-minute decision one way or the other.
May 21, 2020 11:00AM
I've been informed that the NPS will accept documentation of reservations at Cabins inside the park.
May 23, 2020 03:53PM
Coolburn
I've been informed that the NPS will accept documentation of reservations at Cabins inside the park.
Did they specifically say rentals in Yosemite West? As DavidK42 said, YW is not inside the park boundaries and there have been times during this closure that residents there were not allowed to shop at the Valley and Wawona stores when residents of other areas were.
May 24, 2020 09:47AM
Yes. A park employee told me last week, and Scenic Wonders now has this posted on their website:
"COVID-19 ADVISORY
We are now accepting reservations as Yosemite National Park moves towards reopening!
Under Yosemite's draft reopening plan, visitors with overnight reservations at vacation rentals inside the park will be allowed to drive in without reserving a day pass to access the park. The park is proposing to limit visitation by 50% and the number of private vehicles to approximately 3,600 per day, but by staying with us you are guaranteed entry into the park!
Take advantage of this excellent opportunity by booking your stay with Yosemite's Scenic Wonders Vacation Rentals! "
May 20, 2020 03:04PM
Thanks again abetterpitchfork! I've tuned into the Redit forum as well.

I have reservations in Lower Pines June 7-14th, so am right on the timeline edge of the opening!!!
May 20, 2020 09:20PM
abetterpitchfork
Not sure if anyone beyond Corntortilla cares, but since I posted the first message here, I may as well post the update:

Thanks for sharing, this is awesome update!! Bowing to his greatness

Missed out on the updates within the first post, so thanks for circling back. I don't go to Reddit that much and I bet a lot of folks on this forum are interested in this info. I didn't realize initially that they are shooting for early June.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 09:20PM by nwhkr.
May 20, 2020 08:55PM
I appreciate you posting this, as it helped me find the Reddit page. We have a cabin reserved for September, and it will be interesting to see how this works since we'll be inside the park boundary and are staying longer than 7 days. Really hoping we will still be able to take this extended trip.
May 25, 2020 08:24PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login