All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite opening on 6/11, Tioga pass road on 6/15
June 08, 2020 02:19PM
Most important update - Tioga Pass Road will open on Monday, June 15

Yosemite on Thursday, June 11
Day permits go on sale from Tuesday, June 9. 7am PT at Recreation.gov
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/covid19.htm?fbclid=IwAR17YZBCmZ8Qco5P9preHflHygrAVYC5jbfKoOz_lg7oaa1Bi7U64V8hw30

Any guesses on TM campground opening date?
Re: Yosemite opening on 6/11, Tioga pass road on 6/15
June 08, 2020 04:14PM
Reply to a comment asking about TM campground on the YNP Facebook page announcing the 6/11 opening:

Yosemite National Park
We expect the Tuolumne Meadows campground to remain closed this summer.
June 08, 2020 11:44PM
Wow!
Thanks for sharing, appreciate it
Doh!

But thanks for the update.
The website announcement about the day-use passes does not mention the TM campground, which suggests that it (and most other campgrounds that in normal years take reservations, as well as thhe non-reservation campgrounds) will remain closed:

"Will I need a reservation to visit Yosemite?

Yes. All vehicles entering Yosemite National Park will be required to pay the park entrance fee and have one of the following:

Day-use reservation (valid for 7 consecutive days)
Upper Pines Campground or Wawona Horse Camp reservation
Yosemite Valley Lodge, Curry Village, or The Ahwahnee reservation
Private lodging or vacation rental reservation in Wawona, Yosemite West, or Foresta
Yosemite wilderness permit
Yosemite Half Dome permit
Commercial use authorization

Upon showing proof of your reservation and a matching photo ID at the entrance station, you will be issued a vehicle permit to enter the park.

Visitors who enter the park via YARTS (Yosemite Area Regional Transportation System) buses, bicycle, on foot, or on horseback will not be required to have a day-use reservation to enter the park. Park entrance fees still apply.

Credit cards are the only form of payment accepted for entrance fees.
"
June 09, 2020 12:37PM
A location closure has been issued for TUOLUMNE MEADOWS from Wed, Jul 15, 2020 - Wed, Sep 30, 2020 due to Public Safety Concerns .
June 09, 2020 02:01PM
Wow. Do you have a link for that closure order? That sounds like nothing at all will be going on in TM during that time... no ranger programs, no day use, nothing. I'm hoping wilderness permits and backpacking from TM trailheads are still allowed.
June 09, 2020 02:33PM
I got an email about cancelling my group site reservation for September. My initial thought was that only the group sites will be closed, until I saw that statement.

Backcountry access from TM is allowed as I have the permits for the weekend of 6/19
June 09, 2020 05:08PM
nwhkr
I got an email about cancelling my group site reservation for September. My initial thought was that only the group sites will be closed, until I saw that statement.

Well that sucks! By September we will be clear of Covid, dead, or immune. TM campground is more spread out that Upper Pines, even at 50% occupancy (which they could have instituted BTW).
June 09, 2020 05:36PM
yeah, only 50% of the sites can be reserved in advance other 50% walkup. by eliminating walkups, they automatically reduce occupancy to 50%. BTW, hope you're not dead, but Covid will not be gone this year.
June 09, 2020 07:13PM
Thanks guys! Appreciate the support.

I feel for the park people and yosemite conservancy though. People are going on an overdrive with desperation and NPS will have its hands full. On the yosemite FB page, there are over 5k comments/questions about the park opening (that was announced just 30 hours back) and people have all their family members trying to book the day use permits, bringing the system to crash. Wilderness permits is the savig grace for many of us smiling smiley
nwhkr

Backcountry access from TM is allowed as I have the permits for the weekend of 6/19

Was your email from recreation.gov? I still haven't received a notice about cancellation of a TM campground reservation for August...but that wasn't a group camp.
June 10, 2020 08:24AM
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
Was your email from recreation.gov? I still haven't received a notice about cancellation of a TM campground reservation for August...but that wasn't a group camp.

Just checked and this came from Recreation.gov, so yours might be still good.

We're sending you this message because of your Recreation.gov reservation, 023______1, at TUOLUMNE MEADOWS for Mon, Sep 14, 2020 - Mon, Sep 21, 2020.

A location closure has been issued for TUOLUMNE MEADOWS from Wed, Jul 15, 2020 - Wed, Sep 30, 2020 due to Public Safety Concerns .

Since this location closure overlaps with the dates for your trip, we have cancelled your reservation and you will receive a full refund. Credit / debit card payments will be refunded to the card associated with your account. If you paid by cash or check, you will receive a refund check in the mail (please allow up to 8 weeks).

The experience and wellbeing of visitors is our top priority, and we apologize for any inconvenience with this location closure. Thank you again for your understanding, and please contact TUOLUMNE MEADOWS if you have any questions.
June 10, 2020 08:51AM
The whole TM campground is closed for this phase of the opening. Got this confirmation from a wilderness ranger
Checked on recreation.gov earlier today and my reservation is still there, but I assume it will be automatically cancelled in the coming weeks.
June 10, 2020 09:11AM
I think park might be in the next phase by August or by July 15th (assuming it mirrors state), so I will keep the faith.
June 22, 2020 01:18PM
Ok, let's say I would like to hike Clouds Rest tomorrow 6/23. Can we just show up w/o a reservation? My hiking partner has a lifetime senior pass. Can this be used in lieu of a reservation at the gate?

Thanks.
June 22, 2020 02:56PM
All day-use entry into Yosemite requires a reservation--this is true even if you are driving through the park. The cost is less if you have one of the passes, but a reservation is required. The reservation is good for seven days, but you have to enter on the first day to get your parking pass. There are many signs along the roads leading to the park indicating that reservations are required for entry (e.g. in Oakdale and Oakhurst), and I did see someone turned away at Wawona a few weeks ago.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2020 03:00PM by basilbop.
June 22, 2020 04:31PM
Yup, I saw people being turned back at Big Oak Flat entrance station on Friday 6/19 morning.

In addition to what basilbop mentioned, 20% of day use permits are available 2 days before at 7am and the rest are already on sale. Looks like there are spots available for some days in June and July. August hasn't been released yet
https://www.recreation.gov/ticket/facility/300015?q=Yosemite%20National%20Park%20Ticketed%20Entry
avatar Re: Yosemite opening on 6/11, Tioga pass road on 6/15
June 22, 2020 03:59PM
Ohnivy-Drak
Ok, let's say I would like to hike Clouds Rest tomorrow 6/23. Can we just show up w/o a reservation? My hiking partner has a lifetime senior pass. Can this be used in lieu of a reservation at the gate?

Thanks.

You can show up. BUT! They won't let you in: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/covid19.htm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login