Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Drive through

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Drive through
July 16, 2020 06:51PM
Regarding the reservations to get into the park. Does anyone know if there is any exceptions if your driving through Tioga Pass to get to Mono lake or other places on the Eastern side. Do I still need to make a Reservation? I heard and I am trying to confirm if they give you a Drive through pass, that allows just you a few hours to drive through the park. I realize I will have to pay the entrance fee regardless but I have an annual pass that I can use. If I have to go around I know it will add aprox and hour to my route. Is there anything in place for this type of situation?
July 16, 2020 07:11PM
You do need the pass to drive through.
Re: Drive through
July 17, 2020 10:03AM
Coolburn
You do need the pass to drive through.

Thanks for the heads up Coolburn,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and thanks Yosemite for making things as hard as possible.
Im sure all the folks that work in the Mono area but live in Mariposa, Groveland etc Love to drive around, and the same for the folks on the other side.
Well I hope my camping trip to Mammoth still happens at the end of September, Guess I better reserve my PRIVILEGE to drive trough the park for the same price and headaches as the folks that are actually visiting and utilizing the park. I for one think this daily reservation is a bunch of BS, If you book on the first of the month for the following month you have a pretty decent shot at getting in, but the BS of booking two days prior to any arrival is garbage and the system showing days are available but when you go to book them it says they have not been released??? whats up with that? only to go back a few hours later and then the same day now says not available? You need a doctors degree to figure it out, and its still a crapshoot. Think Ill withhold my contribution to the park for a while other than the 2.00 entry fee and the Yearly pass Which by the way I lost aprox 2 months of since the park was completely closed down, Youd think it would be no big deal for them to punch the next card for next year with 2 months extra for free to make up for the peoples loss, but NO WAY not Yosemite (I tried that at the entrance last time I was there. And lastly, How legal is it to DOUBLE CHARGE, your yearly pass is for entrance into the park now they make you pay 2.00 additional to reserve your entrance into the park,,,,,,,,,, that was never implied or stated when I bought my pass...... Go ahead Yosemite, just ask me to Volunteer or donate to the park service.... I think not,,,, not anymore.
Thanks for letting me rant. I love Yosemite park, But the Park Service, is a JOKE as it pertains to this entrance fee and reservation system for sure.
July 21, 2020 12:47PM
I get your frustration, but I think it would help to consider how other people would be affected if these policies weren't in place. This is a deadly disease and measures need to be taken to stop its spread, particularly in underserved rural communities like Mariposa and Lee Vining. I understand the desire to return to a normal life, but we don't live in normal times and for the good of our neighbors we all need to make sacrifices. I'm in the Bay Area, and I canceled all of my plans in the 395 corridor this summer. It hurt. I wish I didn't have to.

As far as I can tell, the Park Service is doing its best to manage risk while at the same time making sure these gateway communities don't strangle from a lack of economic activity. Obviously that means that there will be inconveniences, but it's all in the service of looking out for each other. I hope eventually you see it the way I do, too.

All the best, MHP.
July 22, 2020 10:58PM
MY HAPPY PLACE
Thanks for the heads up Coolburn,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and thanks Yosemite for making things as hard as possible.
Im sure all the folks that work in the Mono area but live in Mariposa, Groveland etc Love to drive around, and the same for the folks on the other side.
Well I hope my camping trip to Mammoth still happens at the end of September, Guess I better reserve my PRIVILEGE to drive trough the park for the same price and headaches as the folks that are actually visiting and utilizing the park. I for one think this daily reservation is a bunch of BS, If you book on the first of the month for the following month you have a pretty decent shot at getting in, but the BS of booking two days prior to any arrival is garbage and the system showing days are available but when you go to book them it says they have not been released??? whats up with that? only to go back a few hours later and then the same day now says not available? You need a doctors degree to figure it out, and its still a crapshoot. Think Ill withhold my contribution to the park for a while other than the 2.00 entry fee and the Yearly pass Which by the way I lost aprox 2 months of since the park was completely closed down, Youd think it would be no big deal for them to punch the next card for next year with 2 months extra for free to make up for the peoples loss, but NO WAY not Yosemite (I tried that at the entrance last time I was there. And lastly, How legal is it to DOUBLE CHARGE, your yearly pass is for entrance into the park now they make you pay 2.00 additional to reserve your entrance into the park,,,,,,,,,, that was never implied or stated when I bought my pass...... Go ahead Yosemite, just ask me to Volunteer or donate to the park service.... I think not,,,, not anymore.
Thanks for letting me rant. I love Yosemite park, But the Park Service, is a JOKE as it pertains to this entrance fee and reservation system for sure.

If they would people drive thru it would be a HUGE loophole. Everyone could just claim they were driving 'thru' to gain entrance into the park. Once in the park, it would be much harder to enforce people just 'driving thru'.
Not that I think you actually care, but there is an exception for people who live in the surrounding communities to cross over the park.

The $2 goes to recreation.gov, really Booz Allen Hamilton, not Yosemite. Yes, it's annoying, but it's 2 bucks.

I think you have more of an argument for the extra 2 months of the yearly pass, but I think it opens up a bad precedent. What if the park has to close for a few weeks due to a fire, ala 2018? Or just a week, or just one entrance station that the driver intends to use, like Tioga Pass with the spring opening. Should it be by month, week or day? There would be a ton of complications but the bigger problem I think would be that closures would be impacted by money instead of just safety and well being of the park.
July 23, 2020 09:59AM
Great points!
I understand some people's frustration and there's no easy way out on this. This is a huge operation with limited budget as well as reduced resources this year and I believe, NPS is doing the best to keep things afloat.

Additionally, the people in the neighboring communities are getting a decal or sticker for pass through.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login