Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

There were no reports of coronavirus in Yosemite. Then they tested the park’s sewage

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar There were no reports of coronavirus in Yosemite. Then they tested the park’s sewage
July 17, 2020 01:04PM
Wow, this is insightful.
Hope everyone in the park and in the neighboring communities is staying safe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2020 05:11PM by nwhkr.
nwhkr
Wow, this is insightful.
Mariposa County had so few cases, and while they don't have many, they are having more positive cases. I have heard from friends that they have been seeing people in the stores and eating places in Yosemite not wearing masks and not practicing social distancing and this includes employees. Only a matter of time before park employees and people that live or visit the valley will get it.
parklover
nwhkr
Wow, this is insightful.
Mariposa County had so few cases, and while they don't have many, they are having more positive cases. I have heard from friends that they have been seeing people in the stores and eating places in Yosemite not wearing masks and not practicing social distancing and this includes employees. Only a matter of time before park employees and people that live or visit the valley will get it.

So the park can be shut down again. Super considerate of the people in their immediate environment, as well as everyone else who is was planning to visit the park in the next few months. How difficult is it to wear a mask and stay 6 feet away from other people? (That question doesn't apply just in YNP, of course.)
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
parklover
nwhkr
Wow, this is insightful.

So the park can be shut down again. Super considerate of the people in their immediate environment, as well as everyone else who is was planning to visit the park in the next few months. How difficult is it to wear a mask and stay 6 feet away from other people? (That question doesn't apply just in YNP, of course.)
Before the park reopened, they said that they would follow the decisions made by public health officials in the gateway counties and the state. So, if that still holds true, if things tighten up in the state again, then the park most likely would rethink what is opened in the park. I can't say for sure if they would close the park completely. That said, I am with you not understanding why people are finding wearing a face covering and staying 6 feet away from people when possible is so hard.
Our experience last week was that the store was open to a limited number of people. Everyone in line was wearing a mask...and asked to hand sanitize before entering. IT seemed as if people were making a real effort to play by the rules. that ws true in the public places....out on the trail, perhaps less so. But we were no on the heavily trafficked trails like Nevada Falls...

Don't know other experienced...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
I did the Mist Trail / JMT loop a week ago, spending the night in the Illiouette drainage.

From 8am-4pm the Mist Trail is one way UP, which meant we had very few close interactions with people. Maybe 20-30% of people had masks / wore them when close to others, but since there were fewer people on the trails it never felt too unsafe.

I agree that the Store was doing a fantastic job with limiting people inside, disinfecting carts, requiring masks, etc. It was the best retail experience I've had anywhere.
balzaccom
Our experience last week was that the store was open to a limited number of people. Everyone in line was wearing a mask...and asked to hand sanitize before entering. IT seemed as if people were making a real effort to play by the rules. that ws true in the public places....out on the trail, perhaps less so. But we were no on the heavily trafficked trails like Nevada Falls...

Don't know other experienced...
I am getting my info from people that live there so they are in the stores and eating areas more often than visitors are. They said that people were not always wearing masks when they were in those areas. When we were there last month, not all people were wearing masks and practicing social distancing around the Village area, Curry, at Glacier Point, Tunnel View, Gates of the Valley and many places in the east end of the valley. Since I am high risk, I didn't get out of the car unless there was no one around and we didn't go inside of any buildings.
Probably bear scat testing positive. They may have learned how to use the curry toilets.
Considering that there are thousands of visitors to Yosemite per day, most of them coming from California with a significant number of Covid cases, it is not surprising that some of them have Covid or at least remnants of covid in their system. While not great news, this is on the order of saying the sky is blue.

Was at Tenaya Lake last week and lots of people not wearing a mask. On the beach you could distance, but not in the parking lot, bathrooms or path to the beach. There was a large gathering with potluck style food with no face masks or social distancing. Even had a guy with no mask walk right behind me, less than a foot away, as I was standing still, readily visible with ample opportunity to walk around. They let their kids run around too as we were sitting on the beach minding our own business. Didn't have a personal choice there; either we had to accept it or leave the beach.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login