All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Overnight parking in TM
September 02, 2020 05:09PM
I have a permit to head up Rafferty to Vogelsang a week after Labor Day. Planning first night in TM backpackers' campground. Obviously, I'll need to display a copy of my permit in the windshield, but are there any other parking wrinkles in covid summer? In a normal year, there are lots of places where people park overnight quite close to TM campground. Are we restricted to "trailhead" parking (dog lake, wilderness center, lembert dome) or is anything "legal" OK? Park website is vague, with ominous "unless otherwise posted" caveat. Will try to call and talk to ranger after Labor Day, but I'm hoping someone here has been through the hoops. Would like to just leave the car where I park it on arrival--walk from campground to twin bridges about the same as from Dog Lake lot.
Re: Overnight parking in TM
September 02, 2020 05:57PM
It's all legal.

I would never put my permit on the windshield from what I learned from watching home alone. It lets anyone who walks by your car know when you will or won't be back.
September 02, 2020 11:56PM
I did the same Vogelsang trip you are planning about 4 weeks ago. I wondered about the parking too, but it all seemed normal (and a bit less crowded than usual) in TM. Lots of folks parking by the side of the road and in the lots. I did park in Dog Lake lot and it was emptier than I've seen it.

Enjoy the trip, it's a great one!
September 03, 2020 09:30AM
We did the same route Aug 5-8, we parked in the Dog Lake Parking lot and it was right across an access road to the JMT and your trail towards Rafferty. It was super close and safe. I would park there. We stayed the 1st 2 nights at Boothe Lake and one in Lyell Canyon. On our 2nd day we did a dayhike up to Vogelsang Pass and the High Sierra Camls plus Fletcher Lake, it was awesome. A ranger was hanging out at the jct of the Boothe Lake/Vogelsang HSC split checking permits and bearcans. I shot a video of our adventure on my YouTube Channel over at Anthonys Audio Journal. Great trip but sadly didn't see any bears just a huge buck at Boothe Lake.
September 03, 2020 09:35AM
We did the same route Aug 5-8, we parked in the Dog Lake Parking lot and it was right across an access road to the JMT and your trail towards Rafferty. It was super close and safe. I would park there. We stayed the 1st 2 nights at Boothe Lake and one in Lyell Canyon. On our 2nd day we did a dayhike up to Vogelsang Pass and the High Sierra Camls plus Fletcher Lake, it was awesome. A ranger was hanging out at the jct of the Boothe Lake/Vogelsang HSC split checking permits and bearcans. I shot a video of our adventure on my YouTube Channel over at Anthonys Audio Journal.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Anthonysaudiojournal
Great trip but sadly didn't see any bears just a huge buck at Boothe Lake.
September 04, 2020 09:41AM
Ditto ditto ditto on parking at Dog Lake lot and elsewhere, including the side of the road. The Dog Lake lot is best, though, because it has bear lockers and trash bins to clear out your car before the trip. Enjoy yourself.

Hope you catch a morning view like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwt0tbq7a17owls/Photo%20Aug%2003%2C%206%2043%2022%20AM%20%281%29.jpg?dl=0
September 04, 2020 12:53PM
thanks to all for information and good wishes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login