Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Forest Service Temporarily Closes Southern California National Forests, Adds Prohibitions in Others

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Forest Service Temporarily Closes All National Forests In Pacific Southwest Region
September 10, 2020 08:40AM
VALLEJO, Calif., September 9, 2020 – Due to unprecedented and historic fire conditions throughout the state, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region is announcing a temporary closure of an additional ten National Forests, meaning all eighteen National Forests in California that are in the Pacific Southwest Region are now closed. The closure of the additional ten forests will be effective at 5:00 pm today. These additional forests include the Eldorado National Forest, Klamath National Forest, Lassen National Forest, Mendocino National Forest, Modoc National Forest, Six Rivers National Forest, Plumas National Forest, Shasta-Trinity National Forest, Tahoe National Forest, and Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit. This decision will be re-evaluated daily as conditions change.

We had closed eight National Forests on Monday evening, Sept. 7, 2020. Explosive growth of fires throughout California during the day and late evening of Sept. 8th led to this updated decision.

“The number of large fires and extreme fire behavior we are seeing across the State is historic," said Regional Forester Randy Moore. "These temporary closures are necessary to protect the public and our firefighters, and we will keep them in place until conditions improve and we are confident that National Forest visitors can recreate safely. I ask all Californians and visitors to take these closures and evacuations seriously for their own safety and to allow our firefighters to focus on the mission of safely suppressing these fires ."

The Forest Service thanks our partners and the public for their cooperation and understanding of this monumental fire threat. It is critical that all Californians and national forest visitors follow these important closures and restrictions for their own safety and the safety of our firefighters. Citizens with specific questions within their area may call their local forests for more information.
avatar Forest Service Temporarily Closes Southern California National Forests, Adds Prohibitions in Others
September 10, 2020 08:42AM
VALLEJO, Calif., September 7, 2020 – Most of California remains under the threat of unprecedented and dangerous fire conditions with a combination of extreme heat, significant wind events, dry conditions, and firefighting resources that are stretched to the limit. Due to these conditions, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region is announcing the following temporary closures and fire restrictions to provide for public safety and reduce the potential for human caused fire starts. They will go into effect at 5:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on Monday, September 7, 2020, and will be re-evaluated daily as conditions change.
  • Closure of the following National Forests: Stanislaus National Forest, Sierra National Forest, Sequoia National Forest, Inyo National Forest, Los Padres National Forest, Angeles National Forest, San Bernardino National Forest, and Cleveland National Forest.
  • Prohibition of the use of any ignition source on all National Forest System lands (campfires, gas stoves, etc.) throughout California.
  • Closure of all developed campgrounds and day-use sites on National Forests in California.
“The wildfire situation throughout California is dangerous and must be taken seriously. Existing fires are displaying extreme fire behavior, new fire starts are likely, weather conditions are worsening, and we simply do not have enough resources to fully fight and contain every fire,” said Randy Moore, Regional Forester for the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region. “We are bringing every resource to bear nationally and internationally to fight these fires, but until conditions improve, and we are confident that National Forest visitors can recreate safely, the priority is always to protect the public and our firefighters. With these extreme conditions, these temporary actions will help us do both.”

An example of extreme fire behavior is the Creek Fire on the Sierra National Forest which began on Friday Sep. 4th and grew rapidly on Saturday, Sep. 5th. The fire made a 15-mile run in a single day and burned 36,000 acres, prompting evacuations and life saving measures. The California National Guard evacuated at least 200 people from Wagner Mammoth Pool Campground and assessed them for medical needs.

The Forest Service thanks our partners and the public for their cooperation and understanding of this monumental fire threat. It is critical that all Californians and national forest visitors follow these important closures and restrictions for their own safety and the safety of our firefighters.
Re: Forest Service Temporarily Closes All National Forests In Pacific Southwest Region
September 10, 2020 07:14PM
I have a permit out of agnew meadows on the 15th, the day the current closure ends. "re-evaluated daily" is little solace. I wonder if this means that the fate of the 15th will be decided on the 14th. guess I should just be packed and ready to go. or to unload. as I told my daughters when the covid shutdowns began, once you acknowledge the danger and(properly) shut down, it becomes hard to justify re-opening. I'd say the Mammoth Pool evacuation was a wake up call about the risks, and the burden of responsibility for public safety. I'm not hopeful, but then I'm alive, which some folks aren't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2020 07:18PM by mkbgdns.
Re: Forest Service Temporarily Closes All National Forests In Pacific Southwest Region
September 14, 2020 08:08PM
Does anyone know if the closure has been extended? All I know is below:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/inyo/alerts-notices/?aid=61545
September 14, 2020 09:13PM
iivvgg
Does anyone know if the closure has been extended? All I know is below:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/inyo/alerts-notices/?aid=61545

According to this paper it's been extended to 9/22 in Inyo N.F.

https://www.noozhawk.com/article/los_padres_national_forest_closure_extended_due_to_ongoing_fire_threat
September 14, 2020 09:46PM
Thanks for posting. I'm pretty frustrated that they say that they re-evaluate daily, but don't tell us what they decide.
September 15, 2020 07:14AM
iivvgg
Thanks for posting. I'm pretty frustrated that they say that they re-evaluate daily, but don't tell us what they decide.

Yet this order doesn't include Inyo.... There must be another order out there somewhere?
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd804578.pdf

Ah, found it....

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd804574.pdf
avatar Re: Forest Service Temporarily Closes All National Forests In Pacific Southwest Region
September 15, 2020 07:33AM
iivvgg

I think they have to only close for 7 days. That is why it was closed until the 15th and now... 22 or 21.

Anyway, Sequoia National Park is now fully closed.
SQF Complex is going crazy.

Yosemite should just close everything down.

It's not safe. We have wilderness permits for a few more trips in Sept and probably won't do them.
We got smacked from Castle Fire (SQF) and then the Creek Fire.
Hiking in that amount of smoke and ash is not fun and really bad for you.
And it's getting worse.
Unfortunately everyone in the state knows that now.

Anyway, be safe

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login