All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite Fire Update September 11, 2020
September 11, 2020 11:43AM
There are multiple fires burning in Yosemite National Park Wilderness. Each fire is burning in a fire adapted ecosystem. There are trail closures for the Lukens Lake-Yosemite Creek and Yosemite Creek Campground trails from Tioga road to the north rim of Yosemite Valley. All fires may be visible from Tioga Road, Glacier Point, and high country vistas. Smoke from each fire is settling locally at night and in the morning, then rising and dispersing to the north and northeast in the early afternoon. Park managers are working with the local Air Quality Districts and will be monitoring smoke impacts to the park and local communities. Heavy smoke from the Creek Fire is reducing visibility and shading out the area which has moderated fire behavior.

Blue Jay Fire
Location: 4 miles south of White Wolf campground and 1 mile west of Lukens Lake trail at approximately 9,000 feet elevation.
Discovery Date: July 24, 2020 Size: 3,132 acres
Containment: 20% Strategy: Confine and Contain
Cause: Lightning
The fire has a 70% active perimeter burning in pockets of accumulated dead and down logs and is creeping and backing with isolated single tree torching along the active perimeter. When conditions are favorable, firing operations are occurring to help bring the fire’s edge to natural containment lines. Fire crews are utilizing unmanned aircraft systems for aerial reconnaissance and mapping, infrared detection (IR), and aerial ignition. This type of aerial ignition aids fire personnel by gaining depth along natural containment lines in areas otherwise too dangerous for firefighters to hike. inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6888/

Wolf Fire
Location: 1 mile north of White Wolf campground and 2 miles east of Lukens Lake trail at 9,000 feet elevation.
Discovery Date: August 11, 2020 Size: 792 acres
Containment: 0% Strategy: Confine and Contain
The fire has a 60% active perimeter primarily on the north and northwest edge. The fire is burning in dense pockets of vegetation and accumulated dead and down logs and is creeping along the forest floor with some isolated single tree torching and short range spotting along the active perimeter. inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7134/

North Whiz Dome Fire
Location: 4/10 mile south of Cathedral Creek and 1 mile northwest of Tioga Road at 8,400 feet elevation.
Discovery Date: August 27, 2020 Size: 19 acres
Containment: 0% Strategy: Monitor
The fire has an 80% active perimeter burning in heavy fuels through ground litter on the forest floor and burning in pockets of accumulated dead and down logs with some isolated single tree torching. Fire personnel will continue to monitor fire behavior and growth. inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7135/

Horse Fire
Location: 1 mile south of Ostrander Lake along Horse Ridge at 9,500 feet elevation.
Discovery Date: August 24, 2020 Size: 15 acres
Containment: 0% Strategy: Confine and Contain
The fire is creeping and smoldering through sparse vegetation in a very rocky area. It is not currently burning along any trails and has shown moderate activity.
Re: Yosemite Fire Update September 11, 2020
September 11, 2020 03:18PM
This doesn't show smoke but it is an excellent interactive map from the NY Times showing where the West is burning

https://nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/fires-map-tracker.html

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2020 09:03PM by eeek.
September 13, 2020 10:47AM
Dumb question: Any idea when the air quality will improve? I know the Creek Fire is far from contained. Planned to visit 10/3 for a week just for day hikes (also wanted to enter the lottery for Half-Dome). I'm aware Mariposa Grove is closed. I'm from the Bay Area, hoping for road trip getaway. Do you think it's best I just make alternate plans now or should I wait and see if Yosemite gets better? If anyone has ideas for alternate trips, I'm all ears. Thanks!
September 13, 2020 12:33PM
I would expect the Creek Fire and the fires within the park to still be active then, although spreading more slowly and generating less smoke. But we never know when the next big fire will break out, so the situation could get bad again. I would not necessarily advise trying to climb Half Dome. The views will be suboptimal (monitor the webcams), and the heavy exertion may be hazardous to your health.
September 13, 2020 03:29PM
Thanks for the feedback, iivvgg. I agree. I'll come with Plan B and decide when the time comes!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login