Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite entrance quota

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite entrance quota
September 21, 2020 10:16AM
currently, roads open, facilities closed, don't get out of your car. does anyone know if you still need reservation to go through entrance? I guess typing a query seems simpler than making a call and being put on hold for ???
September 21, 2020 10:29AM
From the website (as of 9/21, in case someone later stumbles on this thread...):

Current conditions:
"Yosemite is closed to all visitors due to significant smoke impacts and hazardous air quality throughout the park. Through traffic is allowed; visitors must remain with their vehicle. The park is closed to recreation."

Various roads:
"Open to through traffic only. When park is open, reservation required to drive into the park."

My read is that the park is currently considered to be closed, so no reservation needed, but you can't get out of your car or otherwise do anything "recreational." Which, given the smoke, I would strongly discourage anyway. Hiking with an N95 mask is not fun :-(

I would add that they would probably look skeptically at travel into Yosemite Valley past the El Cap crossover unless you are a local or employee, since that would not be on any "pass-through" route.
September 21, 2020 12:04PM
thanks. update--my 9/22 entry reservation was just cancelled. meaning, I can go through, but not park (as I would have been able, with an entry reservation). with time on my hands, I wonder how they've been treating "through traffic" when park was open. since seemingly impossible too enforce, I'd guess even commercial traffic on its way to the east side, or in the other direction, needed reservations. if so, there may be a boom in through traffic as long as this status holds.
September 21, 2020 03:19PM
Commercial traffic through Yosemite has always been prohibited. AFAIK there is no special treatment for through traffic (except for locals) when the park is open--you need a reservation to enter at any of the gates, which they check against a list of names and your ID. Having done this several times, they were enforcing the reservations at the various entrances, and I saw quite a few vehicles turned away.
September 21, 2020 06:58PM
glad to have your knowledgable self moderating here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login