Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Valley Backpackers Campground Closes November 1

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Valley Backpackers Campground Closes November 1
October 12, 2020 10:08AM
The Valley Backpackers Campground (located in the sixth loop of Upper Pines) will be closing for the season at noon on November 1st.
October 13, 2020 07:44AM
For those of us newbies....does this mean that if one were to backpack in the winter, we would no longer be able to spend the night inside the park before starting our trip? I mean, other than getting a coveted reservation at Upper Pines or staying in Yos. Lodge/Ahwahnee?

Also, might you happen to know if we can still get walk-up permits in winter this year, or do we still have to apply online 15 days prior? It has conflicting info on the NPS website.
October 13, 2020 08:34AM
Normally Camp 4 is the winter backpacker's campground, but since it's closed due to COVID-19, the only alternative is the Hetch Hetchy's backpacker's campground--although I'd call a ranger to make sure you can camp there for a non-Hetch Hetchy trailhead if that's the case. Normally dispersed camping outside the park would be an option, but is currently not allowed in any of the adjacent national forests. Note that Hetch Hetchy has limited hours, esp. in winter.

I've heard that the park will not go to self-registration permits on Oct. 15 like would normally happen, and instead will continue the online permit process indefinitely. In the past few years trailheads from Yosemite Valley required getting a permit in person at the valley visitors' center, and trailheads starting from Badger Pass (when open) require getting a permit a the "A" frame building at Badger Pass.

Lastly, as a reminder, there will be no overnight parking on the Tioga Road from Crane Flat to Tioga Pass, or along the Glacier Point road, starting Oct. 15, even though you can get permits for trailheads starting on the Tioga Road after that date.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login