Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Wawona hotel?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Wawona hotel?
November 16, 2020 08:20PM
I have stayed at most Yosemite lodgings but not Wawona. Plus I have not hiked Chilnualna Falls. So I was thinking for May 2021 to maybe book a couple of nights at Wawona. But the hotel gets a lot of really negative reviews. Have you stayed there?
December 07, 2020 07:35PM
We have stayed in the Annex building ( above the golf shop) a few times but not for about 10 years so I can't give you a recent evaluation and it was before Aramark took over. We had a room with a bath. Remember it is a historic hotel so base your expectations on that. The rooms tend to be small and the wall thinner than newer hotels so depending on what room you get, it can be noisy at times if you have loud neighbors. But then, we have had the same issue when staying at Yosemite Lodge. I would rank it between Curry cabins and Yosemite lodge. There were not a lot of electrical outlets but we were prepared for that having stayed in many historic hotels and brought a power strip. They are redoing the electrical system in the hotel so maybe they will be fixing that issue. That said, we always enjoyed staying there since it tends to be a more relaxed experience than staying in the Valley. Also love going to the main building at night and enjoying Tom Bopp playing the piano. Note: the hotel's electrical repair is supposed to be completed by Spring 2021 but you might want to confirm that with reservations.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2020 08:02PM by parklover.
December 08, 2020 07:36AM
We've only stayed there once and it was many years ago. I agree with all of parklover's comments (although we stayed in the main building in a room without a bathroom). Although we usually stay in Yosemite West when in the lower part of the Park, we always visit the Wawona at least once or twice...usually to have dinner and always to catch Tom Bopp. To me, the biggest draw of the Wawona is the relaxed, old-timey feel...very much enhanced for my wife and me by the fact that we've become quite friendly with Tom and his lovely wife Diane over the years and so it's very much like going back in time to visit friends when we're there! Tom is also extremely knowledgeable about the history of the Wawona area (and will often do slide shows as part of his nightly entertainment) and well worth engaging in conversation if you have any interest in this (he and I first became friends over discussing the course of the Old Wawona Road). Although it varies from year to year, the food is usually a bit better (and more interesting) than anything in the Valley, even if it has dropped a notch in the Aramark reign.

On a related note, while the Hotel is closed, Tom has been posting weekly Wawona Journals on his YouTube channel. Sometimes they range from simple piano playing over a slide show of Wawona scenery and once a month or so, he does parodies of an investigative TV show that he calls "Secrets of Wawona" that are both amusing and informative.
December 09, 2020 11:41AM
DavidK42
We've only stayed there once and it was many years ago. I agree with all of parklover's comments (although we stayed in the main building in a room without a bathroom). Although we usually stay in Yosemite West when in the lower part of the Park, we always visit the Wawona at least once or twice...usually to have dinner and always to catch Tom Bopp. To me, the biggest draw of the Wawona is the relaxed, old-timey feel...very much enhanced for my wife and me by the fact that we've become quite friendly with Tom and his lovely wife Diane over the years and so it's very much like going back in time to visit friends when we're there! Tom is also extremely knowledgeable about the history of the Wawona area (and will often do slide shows as part of his nightly entertainment) and well worth engaging in conversation if you have any interest in this (he and I first became friends over discussing the course of the Old Wawona Road). Although it varies from year to year, the food is usually a bit better (and more interesting) than anything in the Valley, even if it has dropped a notch in the Aramark reign.

On a related note, while the Hotel is closed, Tom has been posting weekly Wawona Journals on his YouTube channel. Sometimes they range from simple piano playing over a slide show of Wawona scenery and once a month or so, he does parodies of an investigative TV show that he calls "Secrets of Wawona" that are both amusing and informative.
Tom's videos have kept me sane through out all of these months of having to stay close to home and not being able to be in the park. Lately, I have been dreaming of a Wawona burger and then an evening listening to Tom at the piano.
December 27, 2020 12:17PM
Thank you for the feedback. I will give it a try for one night this May hopefully. Also had not heard of Tom Bopp. Thank you for the link.
April 25, 2023 02:18PM
Hey there! I stumbled upon this thread while searching for reviews of Wawona Hotel. I haven't stayed there myself, but your post was really helpful! I appreciate your honest assessment of the hotel and its quirks. I'm also a frequent traveler and always on the hunt for reliable reviews, so thanks for sharing your experience.
By the way, have you ever used the website to find hotels near qpac? It's been a game-changer for me when planning trips. I always check out the reviews and photos before booking anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2023 05:51AM by JoeCole17.
April 08, 2024 06:13AM
I haven't stayed at Wawona Hotel myself, but I've heard mixed reviews about it too. It seems like experiences can vary depending on personal preferences and expectations. However, if you're looking for a change of scenery and new adventures, exploring Chilnualna Falls sounds like a great idea.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login