Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: High Sierra Camp Loop Question

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

High Sierra Camp Loop Question
January 18, 2021 09:12PM
Hi Guys

I am breaking in my youngest daughter to the Sierra's and thought the High Sierra Camp Loop would be a nice hike at 50 miles with only 8K elevation - I was wondering if the fire behind Half Dome a few years ago pretty much burned up everything on the trail to Sunrise and then Merced - Or is it still green - Somebody here must have been in this section the last couple of years.

BTW - any suggestions on loops would be great - Really plan on hanging in Yosemite since we finished section hiking the JMT in 2018 - Was thinking of looping around Benson but that would have been 70 miles (Maybe after this years trip) - Already have done Red Peak Pass Loop (Highly recommended BTW)
May 09, 2021 05:13PM
Hi,
Have you found any info on fire damage and the High Sierra Camp loop from any other sources since this post? I’m planning to do the loop with my 19 year old, figuring less people as the huts will be closed again this summer. I just found this forum today and an Eastern Sierra Hiking and Backpacking group on FB and am gathering info (a bit of last minute planning for a late summer trip).
Best!
May 09, 2021 06:45PM
Hello LH

Will be doing the loop in July - I have not had a response in this forum so I guess its not as popular as it used to be - I'm thinking the hike from Sunrise down to Merced would be the only section that could have been taken up by the fire a few years back but as of right now I don't know - I'm hoping it will be deep enough past Half Done that the fire didn't hit it - Don't believe it hit Sunrise or Merced so maybe it will be ok - Have a fun trip - I'm doing the loop with my three daughters - really looking forward to hanging in Yosemite
June 29, 2021 04:47PM
June 30, 2021 07:14AM
Thanks - Exactly what I was looking for - Fire was clear of the loop - I remember seeing pictures when it was happening and it looked like it was going back deeper - Once again thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login