Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Upper Pines camping trailer advice - site 145

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Upper Pines camping trailer advice - site 145
April 15, 2021 11:29AM
I found this wonderful forum in search of detailed camping information on the Yosemite Valley campgrounds. What an awesome resource!

I saw pinecone's post from many years ago with the pad dimensions of most of the Upper/Lower/North Pines campgrounds, which is so helpful. My husband and I tried this morning to book a number of spots we knew we'd fit in based on this info, and didn't have any luck with them. However, we were able to snag Upper Pines site 145 without knowing any details prior. We later found out that it has a 12' trailer warning and we have a 25' trailer. I realize this is a big difference but pinecone's list shows the spot is 33x10 and clear so I'm holding on to a thread of hope. This would be my first time camping in Yosemite Valley and I'm so excited. We've been trying to book something for months with no luck.

I'm assuming the 12' limitation is likely due to the road or entrance into the spot rather than the spot itself so I was trying to find more info on that before showing up and not fitting or cancelling the reservation when we might be able to fit. TI found these photos of the site, but they are a bit too far zoomed in to see the entrance to the side or road leading in:
https://yosemitecampsites.com/upperpines/index.php/145
https://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/ca/upper-pines/photos/upper-pines-145

Does anyone have any specific experience driving this portion of the Upper Pines loop and can provide some insight if there is some sort of obstruction that would make it impossible to get in with our trailer? Or if it's just a warning for those who are inexperienced? My husband is great maneuvering our trailer (we have a TT and a flatbed trailer that he gets down our very long and narrow driveway regularly, and I've gotten much better at directing/communicating with him too Rolling on floor laugh LOL.

Any help/advice anyone can offer is GREATLY appreciated!
April 15, 2021 11:36AM
To specify it does say max length RV 24' and Trailer 12'. There's also a better photo that doesn't show obvious obstructions at the entrance of the site:

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campsites/319

I also found this drive through video. I wish you could see the spot numbers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPLjRmRoYIU. I've counted through the sites in the video and I think 145 is on the left at starting at about 8:05 across from a village of identical tents, and it seems really open/straight forward to me. Having a heck of a time trying to figure out why they would claim a limit to a 12' trailer for this spot, even if you are new to trailer driving. Unless that's just how conservative they are with their estimates...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2021 12:58PM by middle.
April 15, 2021 01:47PM
I would imagine that the reason for the 12' limit is that after subtracting 16ft. for the tow vehicle it only leaves about 14' for a trailer. But you're right, it looks like they could probably hang multiple feet of the trailer over and behind the bumper (those picnic tables are movable). If worse came to worse you could put the trailer there and find somewhere else to park the tow vehicle. Hiker's pkg. lot off the shuttle bus rd. ( behind Upper Pines), Curry Village, or find a double wide site that is only occupied by one vehicle and offer that person $ to park your tow vehicle there...
April 15, 2021 01:06PM
Hello, here is a link for 145 view on google maps streetview. All the Pines campgrounds were driven and photographed July 2020.
I would think if off dirt and on pavement not in roadway it should fit fine. Remember you can hang it over (not wheels) a bit into campsite.

Good luck and have fun!

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.734951,-119.562563,3a,75y,283.74h,76.42t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAF1QipMI_l0Q6UwEHk28SBUB9D4sCqsORLE6NYW4XrhL!2e10!3e12!7i5760!8i2880
April 15, 2021 01:13PM
April 15, 2021 01:45PM
Wow, thanks so much, Granite! I did not expect Google Maps to have street views in the campgrounds! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, they have their hands in everything these days smiling smiley

It definitely looks like there is plenty of room to overhang the bumper a bit and fully fit in the spot. Also looks like a simple back in to me with no obstructions or weird angles. This really puts my mind at ease and now I can let myself be really excited!

Thanks again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2021 01:46PM by middle.
avatar Re: Upper Pines camping trailer advice - site 145
April 15, 2021 09:18PM
Good luck and enjoy your stay! smiling smiley
April 17, 2021 10:44PM
Sounds like you've got all the info you need, but I thought I'd mention that I happen to be staying at #145 two weeks from now. Happy to take pictures or measurements if you want. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login