Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (98% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Tuolumne Meadows Campground Crowds and RV Info

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne Meadows Campground Crowds and RV Info
July 10, 2021 10:52AM
Hi All,

We have reservations for the Tuolomne Meadows Campground next week and are debating postponing until next year due to conflicts. I am pushing to go based on the current capacity restrictions and chance to be there without tons of people. We were able to score Upper Pines reservations in June 2020 and it was awesome to be there without the crowds. Now I hear the Valley is super crowded even with capacity restrictions and especially without the shuttles running. I have been checking the TM store webcam and it doesn’t seem too bad and am assuming most folks are in the Valley. Does anyone know what the day crowd situation is like in TM right now and whether it is worth the trip due to current restrictions.

Also, does anyone have any info about which sites in the campground are designated for RVs? We are bringing our 24’ fifth wheel for the first time and have a reservation for a 35’ RV/30’ Trailer. We would like to do some research so we are able to get a good site when we check in.. I have found some color-coded maps online but no key to determine what the colors mean.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Re: Tuolumne Meadows Campground Crowds and RV Info
July 10, 2021 12:35PM
going to assume you haven't camped there before,

was there last month during Opening Week. based on the combination of 1/2 the campsites being closed and the entrance reservation requirement, I'd say there will be fewer people than in a "normal" year. WAY less crowded than the Valley. not an international Trophy destination, much larger area for people to spread out strolling/hiking. Tioga Road doesn't see the degree of vehicular congestion that you see in the Valley.

I used to have one of those maps with color codes for campsites, but being about 40 years old, it disintegrated, and the current map handed out doesn't contain that info. campsitephotos.com, although pix can be as misleading as informative, may help you figure out the key to the color codes.

your choice of campsite will be limited to those available when you reach the kiosk. many will be occupied by people staying over from last night. it's possible that you will have to take the only Super Jumbo site available, as there are fewer in that group than in any other category. on any given day, people line up at kiosk well before it opens. the only person who can have any campsite they want (in their category) is the first person in line on Opening Day. on June 21st, he got there at 4am. it wasn't me. he did take the campsite I'd have wanted, confirming my good taste.

the reservation-by-category, not campsite #, is unfamiliar to some. before you get your heart set on a site, be advised that only loops A, B, and C (partly) are open.

don't postpone. you will have a great time, regardless of where you park your vehicle and spend the nights.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2021 12:42PM by mkbgdns.
Re: Tuolumne Meadows Campground Crowds and RV Info
July 11, 2021 08:13AM
Thank you! This is very helpful! We are going to go for it :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login