Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (91% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Algae blooms considered in mysterious death of family near Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

UPDATE: Hyperthermia blamed for death of family near Yosemite
August 19, 2021 11:03AM
[EDIT: Updated info at bottom of thread]

Toxic algae blooms are among hazards being considered by investigators working to determine how a healthy Mariposa couple, their 1-year-old daughter, and dog mysteriously died along a Sierra National Forest trail.

Emergency responders this week initially treated it like a hazmat situation because of the strange circumstances – no visible body trauma – and concerns about potentially toxic gases from old mines in the area northeast of Mariposa and southwest of Yosemite National Park. The hazmat declaration was lifted Wednesday, Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese said.

“I don’t believe it’s connected to a mine,” Briese said of the deaths of Mariposa residents John Gerrish, Ellen Chung, their daughter, Miju, and family dog, Oski, described as looking similar to a golden retriever. “We don’t know the cause. … We won’t rest until we figure it out.”

Link to Fresno Bee story

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2021 09:24PM by FatFlatlander.
avatar Re: Algae blooms considered in mysterious death of family near Yosemite
August 20, 2021 11:43PM
The family's bodies were found on the Savage-Lundy Trail near Devil's Gulch. It was hot on Sunday. I wonder if they deaths might have been caused by the dehydration or heat stroke. Very tragic.

Leave No Trace
August 22, 2021 09:56AM
This is very sad. It will be interesting (and a learning experience) to understand what is suspected as the cause of death.

We generally take 120 to Yosemite, so I'm less familiar with 140. Looked at the map to see where Hite's Cove was. The proximity to El Portal reminded me of Cedar Lodge and that sad story. When we do take 140, whenever I pass Cedar Lodge, I think of it. Now one more sad story to think of ....
avatar Re: Algae blooms considered in mysterious death of family near Yosemite
August 26, 2021 03:59PM
August 28, 2021 03:56AM
August 28, 2021 04:08PM
The coroner released the autopsy with the conclusion "pending toxicology". I'm guessing the cause was something weird that no one has thought of.
August 29, 2021 03:20AM
Thanks
September 12, 2021 08:00PM
Does anyone have any new news on this story?
September 15, 2021 07:46PM
September 19, 2021 03:35AM
MY HAPPY PLACE
Lightning?
https://www.ktvu.com/news/lightning-possibly-caused-death-of-family-hiking-near-yosemite
That makes sense to me but shouldn't it show on an autopsy?
August 28, 2021 09:47PM
Whatever it was, it acted fast. Those people were only a couple of miles from the trailhead...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
September 30, 2021 04:51PM
October 21, 2021 09:21PM
Hyperthermia and probable dehydration are what killed a Mariposa family mysteriously found dead two months ago along a remote Sierra National Forest Trail, the Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office announced Thursday.

The office said the news conference would be its “final investigative update” about the deaths of Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, their 1-year-old daughter, Aurelia Miju Chung-Gerrish, and family dog, Oski, an 8-year-old Aussie/Akita mix. The dog’s death remains undetermined, but investigators believe it was likely also heat-related, Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese said.

Fresno Bee article
Re: UPDATE: Hyperthermia blamed for death of family near Yosemite
October 22, 2021 12:47PM
This Is How You Die In Extreme Heat
Record temperatures across North America have already killed hundreds. Here's what actually happens when overheating turns fatal.
By Alexander C. Kaufman

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/heat-wave-death_n_60df24ade4b0e01b6b1dd5fd
October 22, 2021 01:10PM
Very unfortunate, but should surprise no one on this forum.
October 23, 2021 11:42AM
It's very tragic. I guess the surprise element is that they were all together. Wouldn't one try to attempt to get help? I guess the dog wanted to stay with their owner? Either way it is a sad situation.
October 24, 2021 10:22AM
On the NPS Grand Canyon website, it doesn't mention hyperthermia, but the commonly known forms of hyperthermia -- heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/hike-smart.htm
October 28, 2021 04:15PM
What we can learn from the death of the family hiking near Yosemite, and too many others
Ashley Harrell, SFGATE
Updated: Oct. 28, 2021 6:31 a.m.

... Although heat-related deaths can be difficult to determine conclusively and are not tracked in California, at least nine people collapsed and died while hiking in extreme temperatures in California this summer. The tally includes three people in Death Valley National Park, one in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, one on the Pacific Crest Trail in Southern California and one in Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park in the Bay Area.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-parks/article/heat-exhaustion-death-family-yosemite-16566472.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-CP-Spotlight
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login