Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Historic locations around the Valley?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Historic locations around the Valley?
April 15, 2022 07:37AM
I know I'm not the only history junky on this board so I'm wondering if anybody here has ever given any thought to why there aren't any (well, not many) interpretive signs around the Valley identifying significant points of historical interest? For example, there's the sign near the base of the Four Mile Trail saying that "Teddy Roosevelt slept here" but nothing about the fact that the old Lower Hotel (the very first "hotel" in the Valley) was quite close to there. Similarly, we have a couple of general signs where the Old Village was but, given that that's far from a wilderness area, it would be interesting to have markers indicating where each of the specific buildings was. Granted, I don't spend a lot of time in the Valley when I'm visiting the park so maybe there are more of these signs there then I realize (I seem to remember stumbling across a sign about the short-lived Stoneman House a few years ago) but it seems like there are an awful lot of locations that I've just had to guess at based on old photos and maps. I'm certainly not suggesting that we litter wilderness trails with interpretive signs every 100 yards but, in the more built-up areas (which are where most of these historic locations would be anyway), it could be quite interesting.

And, much as I'd like to see them marked, I can certainly understand why there are no signs identifying things like the original TH for the Four Mile Trail (much less the TH for the Ledge Trail!). Once upon a time, I thought I'd like to write a "then and now" book that focussed on the old roads and trails but as each year goes by and I still haven't been able to get out there more than one week a year, it seems like the necessary research to do so may never happen). Still, I'd love to see somebody else do that.

OK, no idea if anyone else here has ever given a second thought to any of that! smiling smiley Maybe it's just me. Thanks to COVID restrictions, we've missed our annual trip for the last couple of years (finally going back this fall...our first visit in 3 yearshot smiley) so I'm just jonesing to talk about Yosemite!
Re: Historic locations around the Valley?
May 01, 2022 03:23PM
I would love to see more signage of historical things too. There is a Facebook group called Yosemite History that is a great source of information.
Re: Historic locations around the Valley?
May 03, 2022 01:29PM
I've often wondered that too, even for the buildings that are still standing. The park has a wonderful collection of Mission 66 resources, for example.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login