All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Howdy,

First time posting on this forum, but have referenced it for my first 4 trips to Yosemite. Appreciate all the prior helpful information!

Kicking off our through hike from White Wolf to Tuolumne Meadows this Friday (5/24) and was hoping to get some additional recommendations for campsites along the way. Ultimately looking for ones that may be a bit harder to find, but most interested in being by the river / waterfall and right next to / close to some good fishing spots. Currently planning to stop at Harden Lake (super late start on Friday due to flights), Pate Valley, Cathedral Falls & Glen Aulin area. But may try to make it down closer to Morrison Creek if time permits on the first night.

Additionally, I just stumbled upon a thread / website or two that mentioned the pictographs/petroglyphs in Pate Valley / Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne and any info you have to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Called the Yosemite Rangers and the two rangers I have spoken to either did not have the info or wouldn't share over the phone (for obvious reasons). Hoping to get a bit more info when we pick up our Permits, but any advanced info would help with planning/marking it on the GPS.

Thanks in advance!

Spencer Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2022 10:43AM by spencermartin22.
Re: Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne - Pictograph/Petroglyph Locations & Campsite recommendations
June 23, 2022 07:17AM
Hi Spencer

Remember that you need to camp at least 200 feet from water. You'll find many, many campsites on this route.. and in general, the fishing is better lower in the canyon than up by Glen Aulin, if only because there is less pressure there. Side canyons sometimes have both more private campsites and better fishing.

I would suggest camping below Glen Aulin--there are many sites, as the canyon widens out there, rather than above the bridge, particularly if you want any hope of solitude.

As for ancient rock art, the park won't give you any locations. They try very hard to avoid letting those become destinations, for obvious reasons. I'll follow their lead on that.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
Unfortunately, visits to the sites by people who behave 100% respectfully will inevitably leave a use-trail that may later be followed by idiots.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login