Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne Meadows Wilderness Center

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tuolumne Meadows Wilderness Center
October 11, 2022 08:31PM
The Tuolumne Meadows Wilderness Center will close for the season on October 15. Self-registration permits for the Tioga Road trailheads only will be available on the front porch. Bear canisters will only be available for rent in Yosemite Valley. Also, the Tioga Road from Crane Flat to Tioga Pass will close for overnight parking on October 15. This closure includes all parking lots and side roads.
October 12, 2022 05:42AM
I guess they do this every year, but if I self-register, how am I going to use the permit if I can't park on a side road or parking lot?
October 12, 2022 09:20AM
The Other Tom
I guess they do this every year, but if I self-register, how am I going to use the permit if I can't park on a side road or parking lot?

1. Someone can drop you off.
2. You can leave your car on Tioga Road and pay the fine and risk the vehicle either (a) getting towed (no idea where it might get towed to, and I assume that you'd have to pay for the towing and pay a fee to the impound lot too) or (b) getting snowed under (thus possibly hindering plowing in the spring).

I'm not unsympathetic - I'm in the same bind, as I don't have anyone to drop me off, so when I come after October 15 (which I've done a few times) I've resigned myself to either day hiking in the TM area, or backpacking out of Yosemite Valley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2022 09:21AM by Not quite The Geezer, but getting there.
October 14, 2022 05:42AM
Thanks for your reply
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login